Whiteface Conditions

Wx guys... is this for real?

from NWS BTV...

Today: A 20 percent chance of snow showers before 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 12. Wind chill values as low as -15. Very windy, with a west wind 8 to 18 mph increasing to 31 to 41 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 1. Wind chill values as low as -28. Very windy, with a west wind 40 to 43 mph.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 18. Wind chill values as low as -27. Windy, with a west wind 31 to 36 mph decreasing to 23 to 28 mph in the afternoon.

Friday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 17. Wind chill values as low as -1. Very windy, with a southwest wind 18 to 28 mph increasing to 33 to 43 mph after midnight.

Saturday: Snow. High near 35. Strong and damaging winds, with a southwest wind 44 to 49 mph increasing to 55 to 60 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Saturday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow showers before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Very windy, with a west wind 41 to 46 mph decreasing to 33 to 38 mph after midnight.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 37. Windy, with a south wind 18 to 23 mph becoming south 24 to 29 mph in the afternoon.

I take it you are planning to maybe ski WF on Saturday?

That’s the forecast for the Observatory at 4800. Forecast winds up there are worse than at 3500 and below. I often get nervous when I see the forecast winds up high, but it doesn’t always translate to the ski hill.

However, even from the base to 2400 winds (gusts at least) are forecast in the 30mph+/- range out of the S/WSW, so it looks to be on the windy side. Our resident WF experts can weigh in on how those kinds of winds from that direction generally impact lifts.

Does look like a maybe snow at the summit with rain from mid down, with generally light amounts either way.

Not really sure what I am up to, I just figure if NWS point forecast shows anything like 35+mph, it usually mean pretty big wind.

Personally never seen 70mph in the forecast outside of a named storm.

Not really sure what I am up to, I just figure if NWS point forecast shows anything like 35+mph, it usually mean pretty big wind.

Personally never seen 70mph in the forecast outside of a named storm.
It’s hard to tell sometimes. Not unusual that I’ve seen 65mph winds forecast for 4800, and got concerned about potential wind holds (and packed skins just in case), only to have things be ok on the hill. Wind direction matters.

If I was skiing WF this weekend (I’m not) it would probably be fine.....but Face probably is, which means there will undoubtedly be some kind of frustrating wind holds or other operational diarrhea! ;)

Harvey up just saw their Facebook post shows a lot of snow aice face now
Never believe their Facebook page ... There was a little burst that came through (Lake Placid) this morning and it snowed for a bit, but didn't really amount to anything. If you look at the webcam right now, you'll see partly cloudy skies and light snow showers.

As for Saturday, forecast right now is not looking great .. it may be OK in the morning, but they're calling for a change over to rain in the afternoon. As for the winds ... you just never know ... I've been there some days where the wind is whipping like crazy, but the lifts are running, and other days, where there seems to be very little wind and everything is shut down.

I decided to take tomorrow off from work, figuring the weekend doesn't look too good.

got concerned about potential wind holds (and packed skins just in case),
I went up one morning with a friend on a windy day and got blown backwards with skins on. I never knew that was even possible. It was somewhere around the mid lodge where there’s a wicked funnel. Maybe Upper Valley or Summit Express. We made it to the Summit Patrol shack where there was a patroller who had been stuck up there for hours. We ended up having a great run with ice rink conditions on one side of the trail and 5 ft drifts on the other. I doubt they opened the upper lifts that day. The wind clocked 70+ on Little Whiteface. We weren’t gonna stick around to find out. We took off and had a nice quiet sunny day at Cascade XC.

Back