Whiteface Conditions

Conditions thread right...Today was a much better ski experience. I parked in my usual spot in the river lot on the back row where most of the trucks back up to the snowbank. Walked right up and on to the quad. Skied right onto the summit chair. Could not see a thing but the snow on skyward was amazing...you didn't have to see. Then I discovered Cloudspin...ooh that was fantastic. Little Whiteface Chair was running an Mackenzie was fun but I went back and lapped Cloud. Finished my morning with a run down Wilmington and into Sugar Valley Glades "Deer Valley Entrance" Fantastic Day at the Face!

SIAWOL, I have a solution to some of you issues,
Bear Den. Have parked and used lodge all season.
That is what I usually do. Less stress and a shorter walk, although you do miss first chair/cabin up the gondola/facelift.

Regarding the liftlines, I saw someone lapping the summit liftline last week. Snow covered it looks skiable and apparently is, but earlier in the year with less snow I noticed what looked to be a power cable running across the ground. I am not sure if that is the case, or what the cable is if not power. If that is indeed a power cable, I would think WF should have a lot more barriers for entrance to that liftline.

That is what I usually do. Less stress and a shorter walk, although you do miss first chair/cabin up the gondola/facelift.

Regarding the liftlines, I saw someone lapping the summit liftline last week. Snow covered it looks skiable and apparently is, but earlier in the year with less snow I noticed what looked to be a power cable running across the ground. I am not sure if that is the case, or what the cable is if not power. If that is indeed a power cable, I would think WF should have a lot more barriers for entrance to that liftline.
DanS;

You are correct Sir, that is a power/communications cable running across the ground and under the snow on the Whiteface Summit Quad liftline. Pity the fool that ducks that rope and gets snagged by that trip wire; Ouch!. Lots o' rocks under that snow; done there, been that.

Jus Sayin'

64ER.

I still don’t get the general idea of leaving and driving across town ... Or the drive to another supermarket example. How much time did putting groceries back, driving across town, shopping again, and then (gasp) waiting in line at the new place take? Did you really save any time? ... Stand on principle and don’t support the business that can’t get their shit together, ok. However, I’m not inclined to do that it it costs me more time.
It was the same company, different minmarket. 5min drive, just half & had and eggs.
Don’t know if it saved time but saved piece of mind.

Couldn't agree more with everything said.

Side note, if I'm in line for a stopped lift and see a ski doo approaching, I'm the first one gone.
Waited in line at Song a couple times last Friday. Both times due to lift not spinning. 2nd time a dude was working on repairing a snowmobile by the lift house. Another dude climbs out of the top of control tower and runs to the maintenance shed nearby.

Figured it could be serious so hiked up to the bunny hill lift to ski back to the other triple that never had a lift line. The lift I just left started spinnin again once I was on the bunny lift. There were a lot of rookies skiing that day and we all had fun.

Just get there early, and then walk up alongside the gerbil tube and ski over to the main side before the lifts open.

Back