Whiteface Conditions

Checked the Whiteface page - no snow guns running and its cold enough with warm temps on the way.
I guess maybe the theory of no snow making after Presidents Day Week might ring true - damn.
Next couple of weeks are warm and rainy.

As much as this sucks, it may be out of their control. There were power outages in the area last night, but as power is restored, there are often curtailments in effect, and these usually mean they can't make snow. I'm not sure if this is actually happening now, but it is such a thing.

Checked the Whiteface page - no snow guns running and its cold enough with warm temps on the way.
I guess maybe the theory of no snow making after Presidents Day Week might ring true - damn.
Next couple of weeks are warm and rainy.
They did make some snow last weekend which was after President's Day. It's the first time I can recall that happening in the last 10 years anyway.

WRT all of the other hoopla here, I actually think there have been notable improvements during the last two years starting with opening the summit on opening day, leaving some ungroomed snow on the edges of Mountain Run and other LWF runs for those of us who like that stuff, and lift reliability has certainly felt better lately. That said, with the money spent on better snowmaking, I would expect more terrain to be open sooner even with the bad weather and yeah, the Hoyt's thing has been annoying me for years. My hope is that all of this bad hype leads to prioritizing the actual construction of a reservoir. I'm probably being naive, but I (want to?) believe that a reservoir would be a game changer.

As much as this sucks, it may be out of their control. There were power outages in the area last night, but as power is restored, there are often curtailments in effect, and these usually mean they can't make snow. I'm not sure if this is actually happening now, but it is such a thing.
ok - i like that potential theory - let's go with that :D

They did make some snow last weekend which was after President's Day.
There is no magic to President's Day. It really is about what is the billing cycle for electric.

When does Feb end and March start?

At least that is the deal at Plattekill.

As much as this sucks, it may be out of their control. There were power outages in the area last night,... can't make snow.
Whabouta using the backup power generators folks use for running lifts?
Are they powerful enough to pump air+H2O for snowmaking to where it’s needed most for a short window?

Whabouta using the backup power generators folks use for running lifts?
Are they powerful enough to pump air+H2O for snowmaking to where it’s needed most for a short window?
The lifts all have their own stand by or evac drives, and it's not connected to the snowmaking system in any way.

How hard do they push against that limit, and can they increase the limit? And why did they build Hoyts and Wilmington if they are water limited? Did they not expect the kind winters we have now? When was the last time Whiteface was 100% by Xmas week?

mm
When was the last time Whiteface was 100% by Xmas week? I may be wrong but I don't recall any seasons where WF was 100% open by Xmass week in the past 25 years.

Whiteface trails are like the bell curve - you wait in anticipation of everything being open - it crescendos - then trails start fading away and closing. It crescendo'ed the last weekend of Presidents Week with Lookout Mtn being open ....now it fades.

Back