Whiteface Conditions

I don’t know whom I’m happier for that the Slides are open today…..Sno (for getting in there) or us (for not having to listen to Sno complain about not getting in there). :p

I am, however, looking forward to the report!

I don’t remember what year this was as this... We were on ski blades we scored at TJ Maxx ha. This was our first time in the slides it was a late season spring day.
Even if ya don’t know the date,
you and your brother still are the winner
"for the full on, expert terrain", award
of something, sometime,
maybe ever to date.

Last edited:
Gold status today. Entrance is hiking up the bank again, presumably to weed people out.

On the way in patrol said snow conditions aren’t the best, slides 2b and 3 are recommended. So that’s what we did, they were better than 1 was yesterday.

43C080F1-F071-4CD3-9C98-068CBA9A16A3.jpeg
461576C3-5800-4C0F-807D-07E29CFBDB9B.jpeg
C7CE0BDA-2C9D-4ABB-9816-9EE5999B4023.jpeg

Last edited:
Gold status today. Entrance is hiking up the bank again, presumably to weed people out.
It weeded me out! I did one run in 2B ... there was plenty of snow but it was kind of crunchy when I went through.

Just not quite good enough to make the hike in worth it ...

The new hike is a "B" itch.

Today's run count:

1. Gondola -> Approach to Wilderness to Lower Valley
2. Gondola -> Essex to Lower Northway
3. Lookout -> Wilmington
4. Gondola -> Approach to Parkway to Ausable Run
5. Gondola -> Excelsior
6. Summit -> Skyward to Lower Skyward
7. Summit -> Cloudspin to Niagara to Victoria
8. Summit -> Paron's to Victoria
9. Summit -> Slide 2
10. Summit -> Slide 3
11. Summit -> Slide 2B
12. Summit -> Slide 1
13. Lookout -> Wilmington
14. Gondola -> Excelsior to Easy Street to Upper Boreen to Boreen
15. Gondola -> Approach to Mountain Run to Lower Valley to Bear
16. Gondola -> Approach to Thruway to Wolf
17. Gondola -> Approach to MacKenzie to Danny's Bridge to Brookside
18. Facelift -> Easy Street to Boreen

I think the “new hike” is really the original old hike. I know for sure back in the late 90s, such as when that photo I posted was taken, the hike was what’s being referred to now as the new hike. I have no idea when it transitioned to near the lift ramp, but I just remember always having to do that little climb off Riva Ridge. Always thought that made the whole experience just that much better, ie having to “work for it”. When you’re a kid I guess it prob felt like a really serious climb adding to the “out of bounds” feeling!

Back