Whiteface Conditions

Who skied slides today? Any major windloading? What was it like?

Last edited:
Who skied slides today? Any major windloading? What was it like?
I’m not sure how to describe it other than variable. Some sections were like a foot of refrozen heavy stuff. Others were crud, others were fun. Lot of work. The photos marketing posted on Facebook when they opened with all the powder definitely weren’t from yesterday, but the later post definitely is because I’m in one.

We did slide 1 and at the bottom people were talking about slide 2 being sticky, we didn’t find any of that. The other slides could have skied differently. This was at 11 shortly after they opened, could have been different later. While we’re glad we did it and the views were great, it wasn’t worth a redo for us, the rest of the mountain however is in absolutely fantastic shape. It looks like there’s more of a commitment to open them since they did with the current conditions which is cool.

Yesterday morning they were checked off as open on the report in the morning, today they are not. We’ll see if they open today but I have my doubts. I filmed my lap on my insta360, I’ll try to do some editing and get a video together when I have time.

8234E122-D9A2-48A8-8CBB-122F06455C75.jpeg
E322A058-54F8-4A2D-A066-D1827E40B3B4.jpeg

I’m not sure how to describe it other than variable. Some sections were like a foot of refrozen heavy stuff. Others were crud, others were fun. Lot of work. The photos marketing posted on Facebook when they opened with all the powder definitely weren’t from yesterday, but the later post definitely is because I’m in one.

We did slide 1 and at the bottom people were talking about slide 2 being sticky, we didn’t find any of that. The other slides could have skied differently. This was at 11 shortly after they opened, could have been different later. While we’re glad we did it and the views were great, it wasn’t worth a redo for us
It sounds like you weren't ready. It's completely natural, full on expert terrain. Did you expect it to ski like a groomer?

Pretty nice so far today. Not a lot of people yet, cloudy but sun is trying to poke out. Gondola just stopped

Gondola seems to be moving again. I saw a bunch of people with avy gear in line for the summit chair, but the Slides don't open till 10 at the earliest, so I took the Wilmington chair instead.

What year did Whiteface allow the Slides to an option ?
I don’t remember what year this was as this is a picture of a “real” picture as in film....I’m prob like 11 or 12 y/o here with my younger brother, me on the right. I’m thinking this is 1997/1998...date is prob on back of the photo which is at my parents house somewhere in a drawer, gotta check on that next time cause now I’m curious. We were on ski blades we scored at TJ Maxx ha. This was our first time in the slides it was a late season spring day.

5A6D914D-9B96-48FE-86D0-A2A7B74DE34D.jpeg

I don’t remember what year this was as this is a picture of a “real” picture as in film....I’m prob like 11 or 12 y/o here with my younger brother, me on the right. I’m thinking this is 1997/1998...date is prob on back of the photo which is at my parents house somewhere in a drawer, gotta check on that next time cause now I’m curious. We were on ski blades we scored at TJ Maxx ha. This was our first time in the slides it was a late season spring day.

View attachment 18925
I have no words

Back