Whiteface Conditions

48F7DA39-E537-44E7-B95B-B94953436A68.jpeg

4355C560-22F6-441E-8C72-56E7A03598C9.jpeg

3D9FD567-ECDC-4258-92B1-EB33E62D2F73.jpeg

Looks like the traverse was moved back to the previous location. I wonder why it was moved up earlier.

Looks like the traverse was moved back to the previous location. I wonder why it was moved up earlier.
Silver status, So they have been open multiple days, hundreds of skiers or maybe more, totally skied out(as far as untracked), are they still requiring a beacon, probe and shovel with virtually no chance anything is going to slide?

It seems like more of a weeding out thing than an avalanche precaution. I have the gear. I just need them to open tomorrow and Sunday. It's weird having to hope it doesn't snow overnight.

I agree with Sno. While I have seen some minor loose wet movement in the spring, I don’t think avalanche concern is what prompts Silver Status. Fact is that lesser skilled skiers are unlikely to have avy gear, and the requirement just serves to keep numbers down and skill level up, especially early in opening when coverage might still be thin in spots. Just my $.02.

Another question regarding The Slides. If you join a group at the top of the lift, is it strictly enforced that you ski with them the whole time, or once you get in can you just go wherever you want?
There was no enforcement of this at all when I was there last week.

This is a NYS run mountain that gives people this unique opportunity ....how many other NE ski resorts have something this cool ?! .....I'm just kinda amazed that Whiteface and NY allows this to be honest .......I always remember Glen Plake in Blizzard of AHHHHHS ....leaving America because of restrictions. In the 80's ..we had no parks, no jumps, no tree skiing (at least what i remember) . We've come a long way baby

Back