Whiteface Conditions

Also (and this goes for any ski area), there's really no excuse for being short staffed on a powder day. If thousands of guests can get there, then so can employees.
:rolleyes:
If thousands of guests who have the luxury of financial security can leave work early the day before in their 4WD and snow-tired equipped vehicles to stay overnight in their second homes that they pay someone to plow for them just minutes from the base area can get there, then so can employees that work multiple jobs paying near minimum wage, driving 10 year old cars with mismatched tires, from a town that's 30+ miles away because of the lack of affordable housing or any housing stock whatsoever close to their workplace, to spend all morning shoveling snow while a bunch of whiny and spoiled powderhounds deride them for not opening on time---you mean those people?

If thousands of guests who have the luxury of financial security can leave work early the day before in their 4WD and snow-tired equipped vehicles to stay overnight in their second homes that they pay someone to plow for them just minutes from the base area can get there,
whoah dude ...that hurts right there. :cry: I did make it to the mountain at 7:45 am on Saturday before most employees ...I was pretty excited for the snow !

All I'm saying is they should use the same standard to open it on weekends as they would on weekdays. I feel like there is a bias towards leaving it closed on weekends, just because it's a weekend. Again, it's supposed to be experts only terrain, not locals only terrain.
The standard is safety. That stays the same for all of the days of the week. Patrol and a Ranger had been in the week before they opened it to make an assessment. It was deemed unsafe enough that they didn’t even ski it and hiked back out.

No matter how it feels, it’s not locals only terrain. When Freebird was there at first opening there was a group from NJ ahead of him. On his second lap he hiked into Slide Four with a kid from western NY somewhere near Buffalo. Somehow they got wind of the opening too and made it there. You might need to provide a zip code when buying a pass but they don’t ask for one when skiing the slides.

I've never advocated for opening The Slides when it wasn't safe. They didn't open today, likely due to wind and visibility. All I was saying is the same standard should be used 7 days a week. Sometimes I feel like that's not the case, but I'd like to be wrong on this.

My longer post was referring to inconsistent openings of regular expert trails and glades, not The Slides. When I first started skiing at Whiteface, those openings were still inconsistent at best, but many people ducked ropes and got away with it. They have a draconian anti-poaching policy now.

IMO there is an unemployment rate that is too low, and also IMO we are there now.

Full disclosure that is a pov from a business owner.
Yes, lots of business owners (who presumably know all about supply/demand when it comes to their business) are very upset that supply/demand issues forced them to have to pay more money for good labor.

Business owners like employees that are desperate & docile.

Don’t worry man, the Fed is engineering a financial downturn. You’ll have some desperate job seekers soon enough.

Back