Whiteface Conditions

There seems to be a strong bias against opening The Slides on a weekend. Like of course they opened on Friday and then again on Monday. The terrain is supposed to be experts only, not locals only, but it sure feels that way.
You’re close enough for a day trip. Take a day off & go shred.

The Slides are definitely worth a vacation day. The only problem is it's impossible to know when they'll be open, and if they don't open, then it's a vacation day wasted.

The Slides are definitely worth a vacation day. The only problem is it's impossible to know when they'll be open, and if they don't open, then it's a vacation day wasted.
Nah you’d still be skiing Whiteface on a weekday. Go when the conditions are great. You know the place.

I had 4 fantastic days of skiing at Whiteface Fri-Mon. Each day was amazing for different reasons. We got 2 bluebird days, one pow day, and one packed powder day! Hardest/gnarliest trail was Upper and Lower Mackenzie on Saturday. Parons was Mr. Snowflake favorite! 1st run on Saturday on Northway in the powder was super hard for me to ski! My powder skiing improved as the day went on. Loved upper and lower Wilderness Sat-Mon. Lower Mackenzie was awesome Sun-Mon. Wilmington was amazing every day. Did a few good laps on Skyward on Friday. Mountain Run is always a favorite! Took runs on Parkway and Throughway top to bottom for all different conditions! Got to ski Drapers (for once!) on Monday and that was hard/fast and fun up top… hero snow below. Lines/crowds were a non-issue. I love ❤️ Whiteface!

Only real complaint is that the snow report had errors (reported trails as groomed that were NOT groomed) every day. That was annoying.

Nah you’d still be skiing Whiteface on a weekday. Go when the conditions are great. You know the place.
If there's a bluebird day with light wind next week, then I'll take a day off. Certainly would maximize my chances.

Does anyone know the record number of days The Slides were open in a particular season, and in what season it occurred?

There seems to be a strong bias against opening The Slides on a weekend. Like of course they opened on Friday and then again on Monday. The terrain is supposed to be experts only, not locals only, but it sure feels that way.
Freebird got the early tip that they would be open today and got two laps in Slide One. He said it was full blown untracked cold pow in the shade. There was snow late on Friday and then the mountain got hammered by wind at some point which is why they weren’t open over the weekend. A shortage of staff to not only make a qualified assessment but more importantly manage the public was another issue. Apparently, when it’s busy, there is a patroller to handle who‘s going in but another patroller is needed just to answer questions from a line of people, who are oblivious to the hazards, leading to necessary lectures on avalanche safety. The high poacher’s route is now the hike in so they are doing a better job monitoring who‘s in there. They also close it at 2pm so that keeps the numbers down. Kudos to the Whiteface Patrol for getting open the gnarliest inbounds terrain in the East. Get it while you can.

They don't open when it is snowing, foggy, or in high winds. It was all 3 on Saturday and I'm not sure about Sunday. All I'm saying is they should use the same standard to open it on weekends as they would on weekdays. I feel like there is a bias towards leaving it closed on weekends, just because it's a weekend. Again, it's supposed to be experts only terrain, not locals only terrain.

Also (and this goes for any ski area), there's really no excuse for being short staffed on a powder day. If thousands of guests can get there, then so can employees.

Back