Whiteface Conditions

Conditions were awful today. What terrible skiing. I didn't have any fun at all.

I especially hated Skyward and Cloudspin this morning, Makenzie was also no fun. And don't get me started on the glades...
Definitely enjoyed my day at the face. Cloudspin was a treat.

10A36CBC-719B-495C-ABB3-9122BD42921B.jpeg

818C0983-BB72-44DE-8D70-396F76D1F5BF.jpeg

C2A423C2-2A03-424F-BA0E-D8A575BA47C7.jpeg

2A9CC145-D34B-4269-B809-9B60737F8AA5.jpeg

I was a bit overterrained in there with the giant whale/cliffs and moguls. I made my way through by sideslipping and falling leaf. You must have some mad skills to enjoy that! Props to you.
That's how you learn. Six years ago TJ as an ambassador took me into snow making whales near Mountain run. Same experience. Now I would have lots of fun with that. Props to you for going on it.

I actually loved upper Makenzie today enough to do three laps on it but I guess it takes all kinds.
I've been having this conversation with a couple of the patrollers at Plattekill. Most of them don't like Chute at all. I volunteer for it every time

Th
I've been having this conversation with a couple of the patrollers at Plattekill. Most of them don't like Chute at all. I volunteer for it every time
They just like their ski bases more than you, if that is the trail I am thinking about.

They just like their ski bases more than you, if that is the trail I am thinking about.

Yeah, that's it. The exit ramp got you every time. I remember discussing plans with Harvey to go by there on glade day and just throw as many big rocks as I could off the side but when I saw it without snow, it was 100% rocks- just a gravel road really. Its better now though. Lasz cut some trees between the exit and upper face a year or two back so snow from the bottom tower gun blows in on the ramp. It also makes for an easier exit for people that don't like that steep part above the mid station merge. They even dragged some guns in from each end, made snow on Chute itself and groomed it a few times.

There seems to be a strong bias against opening The Slides on a weekend. Like of course they opened on Friday and then again on Monday. The terrain is supposed to be experts only, not locals only, but it sure feels that way.

Back