Where are the flying cars?

one of the most fun drives Ive done in my life was picking up my girlfriend and mom in the manual rental car in downtown London after not having driven for a few months spending a semester in Rome

It's damn near impossible to buy a manual transmission now. At least in the sort of vehicle I want. I know, 'cuz I tried. Manual transmission: keeps the driver engaged. Better IMHO in snow. And just plain fun.

What Peter said. We have two cars, both manuals. Had to dig deep in the slightly used car market to find them. Mazda 3 and a Kia Rio. Pretty good mpg despite the stick.

This is also part of our effort stay as analog as possible. I'd buy a car with a cassette player if I could find one. CD will have to do, until it doesn't exist. Our 2003 Tacoma was perfect: manual transmission, cassette AND CD players, wind-up windows. Thankfully it did not have manual locking front hubs and did have AC. You have to draw a line somewhere.

I have an iPhone 7, it's awesome. No data, call and text plan, with whatever free WIFI I can find. Life is good.

Last edited:
What Peter said. We have two cars, both manuals. Had to dig deep in the slightly used car market to find them. Mazda 3 and a Kia Rio. Pretty good mpg despite the stick.

This is also part of our effort stay as analog as possible. I'd buy a car with a cassette player if I could find one. CD will have to do, until it doesn't exist. Our 2003 Tacoma was perfect: manual transmission, cassette AND CD players, wind-up windows. Thankfully it did not have manual locking front hubs and did have AC. You have to draw a line somewhere.

I have an iPhone 7, it's awesome. No data, call and text plan, with whatever free WIFI I can find. Life is good.
I have a 2015 five-speed Honda Fit. I love it, except that it has pretty low clearance. I have been stuck in my driveway a couple of times in deep snow. I am on Boost network for my phone. It's $20 a month. There really is free WiFi pretty much everywhere you go. I have DSL at home, which works well enough for me to check the weather and stream Netflix. I actually leave my TV unplugged most of the time, because i watch it so rarely.

Back