Where are the flying cars?

Don't most cars in Europe have manual transmissions?
I knew this used to be true, but assumed it would have changed by now. Googled it, it is still true, 70-80% still drive sticks.

You can't easily get a stick in the US it seems. I stopped being bummed about it when the mpg of the autos began to exceed the sticks a few years ago.

I knew this used to be true, but assumed it would have changed by now. Googled it, it is still true, 70-80% still drive sticks.

You can't easily get a stick in the US it seems. I stopped being bummed about it when the mpg of the autos began to exceed the sticks a few years ago.
It's damn near impossible to buy a manual transmission now. At least in the sort of vehicle I want. I know, 'cuz I tried. Manual transmission: keeps the driver engaged. Better IMHO in snow. And just plain fun.

It's damn near impossible to buy a manual transmission now. At least in the sort of vehicle I want. I know, 'cuz I tried. Manual transmission: keeps the driver engaged. Better IMHO in snow. And just plain fun.
Whatabout looking in the manual about paddle shifting?
Aren’t they the new thingy

I think most of those are, like, not my tax bracket. If I hit the lottery and I can buy an AMG E63s wagon with one, I'm all in.

And don't get me started about the type of automatic where you can move the gearshift over and pretend change gears.
They’re in “cheap" cars too.

And don't get me started about the type of automatic where you can move the gearshift over and pretend change gears.

Well there is a use for this feature. A couple years ago I went up Pikes Peak and on the way down used it to downshift to save my brakes. There was someone in a BMW in front of me riding their brakes . On the way down there’s a mandatory stop and brake temperature check. If you’re over 275° you get put in a time out lot before you are allowed to continue. The BMW got flagged.

I can only see one benefit for up shifting , if you’re towing a trailer uphill.

I think most of those are, like, not my tax bracket. If I hit the lottery and I can buy an AMG E63s wagon with one, I'm all in.

For me the best thing about the auto is traffic jams. And mpg.

I also like the auto for coming down a steep snowy hill... put it in low, and then concentrate on the brakes to further control speed, no clutch needed. You could of course leave it in gear going down, but if the wheels slip and you lock them up, the engine might stall. Then you lose power steering and brakes.

Well there is a use for this feature. A couple years ago I went up Pikes Peak and on the way down used it to downshift to save my brakes. There was someone in a BMW in front of me riding their brakes . On the way down there’s a mandatory stop and brake temperature check. If you’re over 275° you get put in a time out lot before you are allowed to continue. The BMW got flagged.

I can only see one benefit for up shifting , if you’re towing a trailer uphill.

A lot of good info after he specifically told you not to get him started. :)

How is this not an airplane?

Not a great one for sure, but not a car either. There are a million things you can do with a car that you can't do with that vehicle.

Like pickup your besties and head out for a day at the mall. Looks like you need a big yard too.

Now you have a choice in europe. Few years ago nope

Back