What's for lunch

A turkey sandwich with potatoes chips from local quick chek convince store with delicious Levy s rye bread

Arugula salad with hearts of palm, pine nuts, avocado, shredded Parm/Romano and EVOO, from Garga. We ate there when my brother and SIL were married. It's a nice, easy salad, and I got arugula in my CSA this week. :)

I’m making Chicken “Vesuvius” tonight. Not the Chicago specialty of Chicken Vesuvio, with chicken on the bone and potatoes....but a riff from my restaurant days. Boneless breast sautéed in butter with garlic, rosemary, mushrooms and hot cherry peppers, finished with lemon and white wine.

I’m making Chicken “Vesuvius” tonight. Not the Chicago specialty of Chicken Vesuvio, with chicken on the bone and potatoes....but a riff from my restaurant days. Boneless breast sautéed in butter with garlic, rosemary, mushrooms and hot cherry peppers, finished with lemon and white wine.
sounds good
throw some sausage in there and ya got scarpariello

While I suppose I could see how you might think that, it’s a totally different dish. After all, there are dozens of recipes you can find that have garlic, rosemary, peppers, and white wine in them, but they aren’t all the same dish, know what I mean?

I love me a scarpariello. Another favorite is classic pork chops with vinegar peppers, where the sauce is much the same less the rosemary. Both of those dishes rely on browning, and result in a luscious pan gravy that compliments the nicely browned chicken or pork. The Chicken Vesuvius I make in nothing like that, in its own good way.

For starters, while you may find a tablespoon or two of lemon in some versions, I don’t believe traditional scarpariello usually uses lemon. Nor does a scarpariello usually have mushrooms. Now let’s talk sauce. The gravy in a scarpariello (like in pork chops and vinegar peppers) is balanced and complimentary for a classic comfort food, with a touch of sour vinegar pepper. The sauce for my dish lacks the subtle balance of the pan gravy in a scarpariello, but in a very good way. The sauce makes much heavier use of lemon, rosemary, and only hot cherry peppers. Rather than “comfort” food, this dish punches you with flavor. Heck, I even sweat a little when I eat it. That’s a good thing if you like hot (but not spicy, if that makes sense), and lemon, and rosemary. Something about how those three come together in the dish is pure magic. Also, the sauce makes heavy use of butter, lemon, and more wine than a scarpariello. When done right the fat, acid, and wine emulsify into a creamy white sauce, enough to coat not only the chicken and mushrooms, but the plate of pasta it’s served over.

Trust me, it’s really nothing like a scarpariello, other than sharing some ingredients. Heck, of all the Italian dishes I’ve ever had, including scarpariello, this one is totally different, and totally my favorite dish of all time. If you ever want the recipe (you won’t find it anywhere else) I’ll share it, and you’ll see....

Made my first brisket last week. Definitely making it into the rotation this winter.

D31FD5CF-8CE5-4602-AB10-69DFC3C9314E.jpeg

Back