Uphill Battle

Oh, here we go again. Listen, if there was a need for that, why isn't it there already? Why is North Creek dead in the winter and a ghost town in the summer? Build it and they will come? Didnt they try that with Tupper?
BP, Don’t know bout the above but seems a lot of folks want to ski at Gore again this year even without pow in a pandemic.

BP, Don’t know bout the above but seems a lot of folks want to ski at Gore again this year even without pow in a pandemic.
I think at this point we can assume that Eastern hills will have a steady customer base because they, a very large and relatively wealthy demographic, can't or won't go anywhere else. No Rockies, no Canada, no Europe. Like me. That guy Matt skiology put out a survey/call out on facebook, simply asking for line/crowd reports Saturday, and its busy everywhere. Mt. Snow is killing it. Most are "heaviest in years". Man, I wish I still lived in Saratoga. I'd be at Gore a lot. It's good in a way. Local mountains will benefit from the exposure. If it ever snows.

The Shift is a bomber binding. I have them on 95 Stockli Stormriders and you feel extremely confident. It’s a heavy setup but great on the downhill and a useful tool for the sidecountry. AT boots are so light and comfortable. I have the Salomon S/lab boots and had real reservations about their ability to drive a big ski. There is no issue though and you have the added benefit of the rubber soles and walk mode for hiking a ridge or navigating the stairs to and from the bar.
Shift is what I’m eyeing for my next setup.

You can also ski the Shift with a Downhill boot if you wanted for lift laps. A Tech boot is necessary for touring. After skiing on Tech boots though I can’t imagine going back to the cement blocks

You can also ski the Shift with a Downhill boot if you wanted for lift laps. A Tech boot is necessary for touring. After skiing on Tech boots though I can’t imagine going back to the cement blocks
Given my focus on downhill performance I go for a traditional four buckle, 130 flex boot with tech fittings (currently K2 Pinnacle Pro). Still super comfortable with the molded Intuition liners, but not light and cushy.

Last edited:
If you tour a lot, after a while weight will start to really matter to you.

I still have a really heavy set up for touring, like it’s kind of dumb but with the way our season is going I’m not going to purchase a touring specific ski and binding.

the shifts look pretty nice but I wouldn’t hammer them in area much. They’re too expensive for that.

right now I feel like a 100 under foot, no metal and super easy, playful ski is the way to go for touring. I got some bent Chetler 100’s for Christmas that I bet are perfect for that. These though are getting those Salomon alpine bindings with a din of 16 (can’t remember what they’re called). I want a ski like that for hot laps too.

I think at this point we can assume that Eastern hills will have a steady customer base because they, a very large and relatively wealthy demographic, can't or won't go anywhere else. No Rockies, no Canada, no Europe. Like me. That guy Matt skiology put out a survey/call out on facebook, simply asking for line/crowd reports Saturday, and its busy everywhere. Mt. Snow is killing it. Most are "heaviest in years". Man, I wish I still lived in Saratoga. I'd be at Gore a lot. It's good in a way. Local mountains will benefit from the exposure. If it ever snows.
Same thing with golf courses being super busy last season, albeit we had good weather for it too.

Frontstreet received approval for this development next to the Ski Bowl around 2008. They seem to have sold a handful of units.
So 13 years later and still nothing happening? I've ridden my MTB at the ski bowl a few times in recent years, never saw anything related to development. I actually didn't even know about this until I read this thread tonight. I'm not as in tune to happenings around gore as I am to those in LP. How did this get state/APA/etc approval? I thought it was very difficult to develop something like this in the ADKs...? Never expected Gore or Whiteface to have a "slope side village"...I guess some aspects of it could be cool., others not so much. VT has plenty of ski area base development...a major appeal to the ADKs (for me at least) has been the more no frills aspect of it..even though the "old days" (late 80s/90s mostly for me when I was a little kid skiing here with my family) have changed a bit at both places (new lodges/lifts/etc etc)

Think this "village" will ever reach it's full build out. 5 hotels...sounds like could be an eye sore.

So 13 years later and still nothing happening? I've ridden my MTB at the ski bowl a few times in recent years, never saw anything related to development. I actually didn't even know about this until I read this thread tonight. I'm not as in tune to happenings around gore as I am to those in LP. How did this get state/APA/etc approval? I thought it was very difficult to develop something like this in the ADKs...? Never expected Gore or Whiteface to have a "slope side village"...I guess some aspects of it could be cool., others not so much. VT has plenty of ski area base development...a major appeal to the ADKs (for me at least) has been the more no frills aspect of it..even though the "old days" (late 80s/90s mostly for me when I was a little kid skiing here with my family) have changed a bit at both places (new lodges/lifts/etc etc)

Think this "village" will ever reach it's full build out. 5 hotels...sounds like could be an eye sore.
It is zoned in the Hamlet of North Creek.

Back