Uphill Battle

Last time I was there Magic had alpine touring setups for rent as well. Good for someone who wants to check it out but doesn’t have the gear. The cost of entry is pretty high and a lot of people I know can’t justify the expense of another setup just to see if it is for them or do it just a couple times a year. The Mountaineer in Keene has rentals and retail and so does Andy with Ski the Whites at Black in NH. If anyone knows of other shops with setups available it would be great to hear about it.

Being able to rent a touring setup seems like it would be a great thing. Back to what some might consider the failure of the new WF uphill policy. If they had a more expansive policy, at a more reasonable cost, and a stable of rental touring gear....I bet they’d sell out of it every day.

While having multiple setups can be expensive, with the improvements in tech bindings the last few years there is no longer a need for it. Anyone in the market for new equipment, who has any inkling they might ever be interested in touring, should just buy a touring compatible setup. Many of the touring bindings out there now are as good as full on alpine bindings for the descent, as long as weight on the uphill isn’t a priority for you.

Last time I was there Magic had alpine touring setups for rent as well. Good for someone who wants to check it out but doesn’t have the gear. The cost of entry is pretty high and a lot of people I know can’t justify the expense of another setup just to see if it is for them or do it just a couple times a year. The Mountaineer in Keene has rentals and retail and so does Andy with Ski the Whites at Black in NH. If anyone knows of other shops with setups available it would be great to hear about it.
I bought a closeout pair of Volkl Mantra 102s and put a pair of Atomic shift bindings on them for this. The 102s are heavy, and the Shifts aren't cheap, but, if all this doesn't work out, I have an excellent western and Alps all around ski I can use for years. My old Full Tilts had to be retired last year, so, I went with FT Ascendants this time, a fine inbounds "resort" boot that easily converts into an uphill trekker. So, no loss, in the end. But, yeah, uphill specific gear is expensive, if you go that route. Lord, is it light. I had a store person put a carbon fiber boot in my hand, and it was shocking. The skis, too. But, you're talking about a few grand for a setup that I wouldn't take anywhere near bumps.

Nice setup Benny, best of both worlds. While I am thinking of going a little narrower on my next setup, maybe, 102 is a great compromise. I know professional guides who go one ski quiver at that width.

I’m fairly certain Platty has telemark setups in their rental shop. Not sure about the skins though.
I laugh at them too
reminds of the saying Randonee is French for Can’t Tele

Benny....when the world permits, Magic is the resort to skin at. Not only is their uphill policy one of the best, when there is snow you can head over to Timber Ridge. Good skinning over, decent skiing on the abandoned trails, and a relatively straightforward return. One time I did zig when I should have zagged on the return and ended up skiing down a snowmobile trail that required a little backtracking, but even that was fun.
Hey JTG
i never heard of Timber Ridge, good to know. i also just heard about Dutch Hill in vermont. they have some up hilling going on also. thanks

Up in that zone is Hogback and the Thunderbolt too

Nice setup Benny, best of both worlds. While I am thinking of going a little narrower on my next setup, maybe, 102 is a great compromise. I know professional guides who go one ski quiver at that width.
I have a pair of 2017 Mantras (M5?) that I adore, and are the best all around ski I've ever owned, so, when I read that the 102 is better for that, I grabbed a pair.

The Shift is a bomber binding. I have them on 95 Stockli Stormriders and you feel extremely confident. It’s a heavy setup but great on the downhill and a useful tool for the sidecountry. AT boots are so light and comfortable. I have the Salomon S/lab boots and had real reservations about their ability to drive a big ski. There is no issue though and you have the added benefit of the rubber soles and walk mode for hiking a ridge or navigating the stairs to and from the bar.

Back