Total Solar Eclipse coming to NY: April 8, 2024

Against TonyC's recommendation, we are going for the edge. Just inside by about 3km.
"Calculations that use a slightly larger radius for the size of the sun yield an eclipse path that is slightly narrower," Dr. Michael Kirk, a research scientist in the Heliophysics Science Division at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, told Thrillist. "This difference would only affect cities on the very edge of the path of totality, where blanket predictions are difficult regardless—a few city blocks one way or the other could mean 20, 10, or 0 seconds of totality."

Additionally, the size of the sun isn't the only factor that could affect the path's predicted width and size. "Uncertainty in the Earth's rotation can also affect eclipse predictions on this level," explains Dr. Kirk. "Traveling towards the center of the path of totality—even a mile or two—will quickly increase the length of totality that people can see."

MOST Museum of Science & Technology at the old armory. ✅
It’s outdoors & there’s cool stuff inside if kids wanna check it out in The Cuse.

Syracuse Mets ballpark. ✅
Cheap Hoffman hot’s & tallboys if ya like baseball. Game starts after the moon gets outta the way. Might be an easy way to wait out traffic...

Beak & Skiff Apple Orchard.❌
It isn’t in totality (99.98%) & the trees aren’t flowering yet but their cider is tasty.

Solar Street Party at the Inner Harbor. ✅
Could be special. Onondaga Lake is Sacred to The Haudenosaunee.
Depends which way the wind is blowing.The Metro WTP is near there.

Last edited:
User friendly weather resource:

Do not venture west within upstate NY. Weather odds deteriorate to a crapshoot by Buffalo. Northeast forecasts have been fairly consistent from weather sites the past few days. Plattsburgh/Lake Placid still look pretty good, as does Vermont. As noted before, Maine looks safest.

User friendly weather resource:

Do not venture west within upstate NY. Weather odds deteriorate to a crapshoot by Buffalo. Northeast forecasts have been fairly consistent from weather sites the past few days. Plattsburgh/Lake Placid still look pretty good, as does Vermont. As noted before, Maine looks safest.
If that forecast holds, Dr. Scottie McRobbie, my older Astronomy prof, who lives near Potsdam, is gonna have a dang field day. He’s a great educator and good guy. Explained the moving clocks time warp thingy 🍺such that ya could almost grasp it.

@TonyC do you take off your glasses during totality?

Is it at least possible that the glasses I got from Amazon are legit?

I thought I answered that before. Totality is about as bright as a full moon so you MUST take the solar glasses off during totality.

The glasses should say on them who made them. Then Google search the manufacturer. I only know about Rainbow Symphony because they are 20 minutes from where I live so I have bought in bulk from them in person.

MadPatSki has just posted details of ski area operations for the eclipse. There are 9 areas most skier friendly that will shut lifts for only 45 minutes or so and let skiers be where they want within ski area boundaries: Sutton, Titus, Stowe, Bolton, Sugarloaf, Burke, Saddleback, Mad River, Sugarbush.

Last edited:
Checked out Titus on MadPatSki’s eclipski list.
Gonna be open on "upper mountain" only. $25 lift lickets for non season pass holders. Free to season pass holders.
The new snow coming down with nice weather afterwards could be a dang miracle.

Last edited:

There's a couple at home tests you can do to help confirm the lenses are legit. One is to shine your phone led through them (don't be wearing them) and all you should see is a faint a pinpoint of light of the individual led(s).

Back