Total Solar Eclipse coming to NY: April 8, 2024

I'd put money on it being completely overcast.
Most likely, but have clouds ever stopped a shithow and/or a party?
They do a good job reflecting light though.

If ya could observe the shadow racing over the Big O it would be cool to see it from a lighthouse.
Folks don't call ‘em lighthouses for no reason.

Right which is why I'm scratching my head. If I were coming from somewhere else in the world to see the eclipse I'd be going to a lot of other places such as; Indianapolis, Bloomington IN, Dayton OH, DFW and others. Rochester is in the top 10 with >3/4 of the sky covered.
I don't know. It's a maybe five minutes event, and then you turn around, and you're in Rochester, Dayton, Indianapolis, Bloomington. So you flew all that distance and spent the money for that?

This inch shaming must stop!

This inch shaming must stop!
Few people on this forum seem willing to take seriously the recommendation of a nutcase who was traveled outside North America for 14 eclipses. Perhaps other skiers on TGR in 2017 would be more persuasive.
I don't know. It's a maybe five minutes event, and then you turn around, and you're in Rochester, Dayton, Indianapolis, Bloomington. So you flew all that distance and spent the money for that?
TGR:
Time length of the event is irrelevant to its grandeur. Like a shooting star, The Kentucky Derby, or an Olympic 100 meter. I don't get equating length of the event with impact.
More comments, all from one of those 32 pages:
I'll admit I was the naysayer who didn't want to travel. Our house was at 99.3% and I said it wasn't worth the hassle. Girlfriend informed me that we would be going to totality. I went, it was awesome, and I admitted defeat and that she was right.
I am late to the party, and nothing new here...but damn. I was excited for the eclipse for sure, but had no idea how intense the experience would be. Even my wife, who tried to argue that it was too much trouble and did not want to go, and my son, who tried to act cool and unexcited, were blown away.

People, including myself prior to experiencing it, naturally think that its more or less a linear thing. 100% will be 10% better than 90%. To me its a logarithmic thing. Its 1000% better than the partial eclipse.

The totality is a completely different experience. Its not AT ALL like the rest of the partial eclipse which must be viewed through the glasses or some sort of filter. You can't see it with the naked eye, whereas the totality is the only time you can look straight at the area of the sun when its high in the sky with your unprotected eye. And its the only time that you can see the corona with your eye. I saw on a Nova special that the corona is the hottest thing that the human eye can ever see directly - millions of degrees.

Its simply unlike anything else. Yeah it was a pain with traveling and traffic and yeah it was short - like 1:40 where I was, but DAMN it was special.
Seriously, I cannot imagine anyone with a curiosity of nature not doing all they could to get into the Zone of Totality. The 2 minutes and 3 seconds of totality greatly exceeded my very high expectations, and I expect to relive those 123 seconds many times. Keep me in the loop re your 2024 plans.

These are all skiers who knew nothing about eclipses before 2017.

Well, yeah, but my point is, at least travel to a place that's pretty and has some other attraction besides this eclipse. I'm combining it with a visit to Saratoga Springs, one of my favorite towns, and a nice drive from there to Saranac lake. Not, you know, Rochester. Or Indianapolis. Sheesh, a friend of mine who passed lived in Indianapolis and I always had an open invite for the race, which I took a few times, but I wound up passing that because, Indianapolis. And that's an all day event. I'm convinced that's why the F1 race moved away from Indy. Fans and teams wanted something better than Indianapolis.

Well, yeah, but my point is, at least travel to a place that's pretty and has some other attraction besides this eclipse.
This is exactly what we do with the international travel for eclipses. We usually hang around for other attractions in the region for typically 2-3 weeks.

But the current situation for Northeasterners is rare and lucky. Time and $$ commitment is minimal, so as with those TGR posters it's hard to understand why people resist.

This is exactly what we do with the international travel for eclipses. We usually hang around for other attractions in the region for typically 2-3 weeks.

But the current situation for Northeasterners is rare and lucky. Time and $$ commitment is minimal, so as with those TGR posters it's hard to understand why people resist.
I ain’t resisting. Been trying to talk it up with my friends & family. Hopefully there’s not too many clouds.
How were the clouds when ya got clouded out?
We have all kinds here. Used to wear a watch that had a UV light detector in it.
Now I sometimes have to ask what time is.

Last edited:
I would like to commend @TonyC for his relentless enthusiasm for this event. I was already planning on driving up to Wilmington. We have a W-SW view from our deck which should work well but I'm considerably more psyched than I was before and if even one person decides to make the trip because of Tony's nudging, I think that's a very cool thing.

A thick cloud out gets as dark as about 30-45 minutes after sunset. But the unique views of solar corona etc. are not visible. Thin cirrus cloud will obscure the outer corona but other phenomena (inner corona, Diamond ring, solar flares) are still visible.

Back