Total Solar Eclipse coming to NY: April 8, 2024

I saw that. If I lived in the north country I would definitely set an alarm and at least step outside to check

1711374185969.jpeg

I was called for jury duty in Morris County NJ back in... IDK, early 2000s. It was a trial about a murder in my town. I hadn't heard or read anything about it before then. I figure, serving on a jury and voting are pretty much the only ways most people can participate in democracy, so I was prepared to serve.

Prosecutor and defense attorney each asked prospective jurors question. Prosecutor asks me, what bumper stickers do you have on your car? I go, a Grateful Dead sticker. Immediately he goes, dismissed! Musta thought I would vote to acquit no matter what.
It’s kinda like when folks get to unpick a team from a motley pool.

I found this:

The Edge of Totality

There are those who like to be near the edge of totality. Before we talk about them, let us be very clear - if this is your first eclipse, you would do much better to try and station yourself near the centerline, in order to maximize your experience of totality. But some eclipse veterans feel strongly that the tradeoff of less time in the shadow near the edge is more than compensated for by the intensity and splendor of the changing effects they see "out there". It is true that you will see more chromosphere - that thin band of deep, beautiful red that hugs the solar disk - near the edge than at the centerline. (In fact, it has been said that at the edge, you get chromosphere for the entire duration of totality, whereas near the centerline, you only get it for a few seconds at the onset and end of totality.) You will also see the effects of Baily's Beads, as thin slivers of sunlight dance in and out of lunar mountains and valleys along the edge.

The Edge of Totality

You will also see the effects of Baily's Beads, as thin slivers of sunlight dance in and out of lunar mountains and valleys along the edge.
Woah dude, I vaguely remember seeing this before.... 🤪🫠💀🍄⚡🌈

Back