Total Solar Eclipse coming to NY: April 8, 2024

Some of you should read the 2017 testimonials from skiers on TGR, like this one. There are about 5 pages of testimonials on TGR.

The reference post I can't find was from someone who said a partial eclipse was like one inch new snow and a total eclipse was like 30 inches. And the reference I posted said,

TGR people are skiers, not astronomers, and often a cynical bunch, so maybe those testimonials will convince some of you that a little effort will be worth your time and trouble. Skiers exert that effort all the time to chase powder.

Enjoy your one inch day!
Don't be jealous!

Being clouded out is like maybe a 3-inch day. Thus the effort of looking at weather forecasts 2-3 days out is important. Again, this is something skiers do all the time.
Agreed 100%!

They keep saying the Rochester region is expecting 300k visitors to the region. I'm like WTF that can't be right! It's cloudy a lot here in April.

We went to Nashville in August 2017 for the music as kind of a last minute trip. Later finding out we accidentally booked at the same time as an elipcse which we didn't even know about 🤣 It wasn't impossible to get a hotel or flight.

Anyway there are places in the path of totality with way fewer clouds than NY so I'm wondering why so many are supposedly coming to the ROC region? There's actually people booked from Europe and other places around the world coming to Rochester solely for the eclipse. I hope for them it's not the typical Rochester April sky.

6,000 per hour! that would be very impressive.
Perhaps something unusual in that regard occurred at Glacier NP.
Yeah, maybe off on my count by a few thousand. It was over 25 years ago and I was high as a kite. Being in a remote place and seeing something like that is really special. Definitely an out of this world experience.

a partial eclipse was like one inch new snow and a total eclipse was like 30 inches.
See, this is where you lose me. Taking my daughter out of school for a day ( two if we don’t want to be stuck in traffic on the Thruway) and driving 8 hours round trip for 3 minutes really isn’t appealing.

I love those one inch days when no one is around. I’ll take that over driving for hours for a crowded 30. This is why my home mountain is Belleayre not Jay Peak. Sometimes the stars align and we get 30, like Platty last year. That was cosmic.

Still listening though…

Last edited:
They keep saying the Rochester region is expecting 300k visitors to the region. I'm like WTF that can't be right! It's cloudy a lot here in April...
I hope for them it's not the typical Rochester April sky.
Rochester-Cuse area doesn’t have too many bluebird days in April or anytime for that matter. Accuweather now has 10 completely cloudy & 10 partly cloudy days predicted between now and then.

If there’s Lake effect clouds then some folks could hit a patch of blue during totality.
Weather folks have difficulty predicting where the LE bands swing and are clueless for where & when a small cloud is gonna be.

Accuweather for Rochester has the 1st cloud free day from now not until April 10th.

Rochester-Cuse area doesn’t have too many bluebird days in April or anytime for that matter. Accuweather now has 10 completely cloudy & 10 partly cloudy days predicted between now and then.

If there’s Lake effect clouds then some folks could hit a patch of blue during totality.
Weather folks have difficulty predicting where the LE bands swing and are clueless for where & when a small cloud is gonna be.

Accuweather for Rochester has the 1st cloud free day from now not until April 10th.
Right which is why I'm scratching my head. If I were coming from somewhere else in the world to see the eclipse I'd be going to a lot of other places such as; Indianapolis, Bloomington IN, Dayton OH, DFW and others. Rochester is in the top 10 with >3/4 of the sky covered.

Right which is why I'm scratching my head. If I were coming from somewhere else in the world to see the eclipse I'd be going to a lot of other places such as; Indianapolis, Bloomington IN, Dayton OH, DFW and others. Rochester is in the top 10 with >3/4 of the sky covered.
The UpState mighta got lucky on the timing of this one.
If it was in the summertime when folks usually visit it’d be a real shitshow.
The snowbirds are still down south too. All the ones I know won’t be back till mid April at the earliest.

The UpState mighta got lucky on the timing of this one.
We used to fish outta Fair Haven.
Friend kept his nice boat at the marina within walking distance of this relatively new place. We’d also trailer my 14 footer for Big O spring browns there a few times.
Folks were clearing land back then and are now making wine.

There is no way I'm trusting my eyesight to a pair of $3 glasses that were probably made by some Chinese kid. I'll set up my camera on the tripod and record it.

Welding goggle lenses are cheap . I viewed an eclipse years ago with some that my brother-in-law put together .

Back