Today's Hike

I know this place well, right next to one of the best places for a dip in all of the Catskills.
1689345363101.jpeg

Garibaldi Lake is a special place located just south of Whistler. While it can get a bit crowded in spots—it’s one of those places I’m willing to return to (despite the masses) because it’s truly a spectacular landscape. Photos taken from Mount Price.

Interestingly, the lake is nearly 850’ deep and held back by an eroding lava dam called The Barrier which leaks out of the bottom. While a catastrophic failure is unlikely, much of Squamish would be wiped out if it did.

IMG_5731.jpeg

Black Tusk and Garibaldi Lake

IMG_5728.jpeg

Sphinx Glacier

IMG_5730.jpeg

The Table in front to the Sentinel and Warren Glaciers

This weekend I did a scramble in the Cerise Creek area east of Pemberton, BC. This is a popular destination for backcountry skiers and mountaineers, one that I’m hoping to check out this winter.

Keith’s Hut made for a cozy resting spot just below the alpine. Though empty on this visit, it is normally packed in winter.

The views of the Joffre group from Vantage were absolutely stunning.

IMG_5764.jpeg

Keith’s Hut

IMG_5986.jpeg

Mount Howard & Twin One Glacier

IMG_5985.jpeg

Mount Howard & Matier

IMG_5980.jpeg

Howard, Matier & Joffre

I’ll never forget my first scramble. It was the southeast slide on Mount Colden, and I was hooked by the thrill and sense of accomplishment it brought.

A couple decades older, now living on the other side of the continent, I’ve been rediscovering my love of scrambling after a bit of a hiatus.

IMG_7107.jpeg

Ossa Mountain (right) from camp

A scramble that’s been on my radar for a couple years now is Ossa Mountain near Squamish, BC. It’s a sizable objective with 7,600+ ft of elevation gain, and one I’ve been working up to this summer.

IMG_6668.jpeg

The summit block

IMG_6738.jpeg

The crux

Ossa was absolutely epic. The terrain was fun, the exposure was manageable, and it reminded me of the joy I felt all those decades ago on Mount Colden.

IMG_6628.jpeg

Pelion from the summit of Ossa

IMG_6612.jpeg

Mount Tantalus

Back