Today's Hike

Spent a day at the New River Gorge National Park in southern West Virginia a couple weeks ago. It was a side trip on the way to visit family in Chicago.

Near the end of the Long Point trail, an easy 1.6 mile hike one-way. Steep cliffs on both sides.
Can you see the people at the end?
New River Bridge Long Point May2023 - 2.jpeg

The height of the bridge is as much as the Washington Monument plus the Statue of Liberty twice. Completed in 1977.
New River Bridge Long Point May2023 - 1.jpeg

Indian Pass Rock, one of the few camping spots in this vicinity. One with a very well-aerated water source!

IMG_8393.JPG

Hemmed in by cliffs, the trail sees little sun. Wallface mountain (highest cliff in the east, maybe) is back there somewhere.

IMG_8418.JPG

And yeah, I got some turns in! No, not on the snow, but I had to jump turn down into the crevasse to fill my water bottle.

IMG_8420.JPG

Best of all, no bugs! Yeah, it rained cats and dogs all weekend....

Barely rising 5600’ above sea level, Golden Ears feels much grander than its elevation would suggest—rising quite steeply and prominently above the Vancouver Metro area.

IMG_4655.jpeg

Snowfield below the Golden Ears summit

Much of the trail leading to the alpine is rocky, rooty, muddy and severely eroded. Combined with the black flies swarming me for much of the hike on Sunday, and it was like I was back in the Adirondacks!

IMG_4618.jpeg

From the summit you can spot the emergency shelter, and tent pads on the ridge below

IMG_4609.jpeg

Standing in front of Edge Peak and Blanshard Needle, just below the summit

IMG_4547.jpeg

Gold Creek

Sweet shots!

Back