Today's Hike

20230820_193404.jpg

20230820_193603.jpg

During my recent trip up to Lake Placid for the annual North Country School and Camp Treetops alumni gathering, I managed to get a good day to hike up Cascade. Last time I did that was 15 years ago when my daughter was a tween. Took it a lot slower this time. It was windy, with strong gusts at the top. There was blue sky in the morning and starting to drizzle when we got back to campus in the late afternoon. Well worth the effort.

The summit Ranger said about 60 people had made it to the top by early afternoon, he expected a couple hundred per day on the weekend
NCS Cascade Trouble views Aug2023 - 3.jpeg

View with Marcy, Colden, Algonquin
NCS Cascade Trouble views Aug2023 - 2.jpeg

View of Round Lake and North Country School/Camp Treetops campus
NCS Cascade Trouble views Aug2023 - 1.jpeg

At the head of the valley separating Whistler from Blackcomb lies Overlord Mountain. It’s an imposing sight when viewed from the Peak to Peak gondola and hard to miss with its sizable (though fast disappearing) glaciers.

IMG_7570.jpeg

Overlord with the Peak to Peak gondola dangling above

With an assist from the gondola, I hiked the high note/musical bumps trails to Russet Lake where I camped for the night. While there, I scoped out the relatively new Kees and Claire “hut” for the upcoming touring season. It’s quite deluxe, and I look forward to staying there this winter. Bring on the ski season!

IMG_4783.jpeg

Russet Lake

IMG_7448.jpeg

Blackcomb (distant center)

IMG_7466.jpeg

Castle Towers

IMG_7480.jpeg

Fissle Peak

IMG_7509.jpeg

Overlord Summit (Whistler distant left, Blackcomb distant right)

At the head of the valley separating Whistler from Blackcomb lies Overlord Mountain. It’s an imposing sight when viewed from the Peak to Peak gondola and hard to miss with its sizable (though fast disappearing) glaciers.

View attachment 21032
Overlord with the Peak to Peak gondola dangling above

With an assist from the gondola, I hiked the high note/musical bumps trails to Russet Lake where I camped for the night. While there, I scoped out the relatively new Kees and Claire “hut” for the upcoming touring season. It’s quite deluxe, and I look forward to staying there this winter. Bring on the ski season!

View attachment 21036
Russet Lake

View attachment 21037
Blackcomb (distant center)

View attachment 21040
Castle Towers

View attachment 21038
Fissle Peak

View attachment 21041
Overlord Summit (Whistler distant left, Blackcomb distant right)
Amazing!!!! thanks for posting

Unpleasant discovery on a recent hike through some BC terrain. Will be a bit of a workout to get this one cleared manually, but neccesary.

Attachments

• IMG_1672.JPG
    IMG_1672.JPG
    660.5 KB · Views: 83
I might be able to pitch in. You can message me where if you don’t want the location to go public

Back