Today's Hike

1663517171215.jpeg

That's big, Sis!

@Ripitz: across what time frame will your sister complete the NE67? I always wondered how long it takes mere mortals (as opposed to your sister!) to hike Katahdin.

@Ripitz: across what time frame will your sister complete the NE67? I always wondered how long it takes mere mortals (as opposed to your sister!) to hike Katahdin.
Not totally sure. I will get the details when she gets back to civilization. Right now she’s in the mountains with spotty service and her phone on airplane mode.

@Ripitz: across what time frame will your sister complete the NE67?
I hiked with her on her first 4k when we did Mt. Washington on her 30th birthday in 1999.
She started a yearly trip years later and decided to go for the NH48 when she realized she’d done a bunch.
She tried to cobble trips together with friends or family and tried meetups with hiking groups and the AMC but the logistics were too much.
In 2016 and 2018 she took Wilderness First Aid to boost her confidence and did the second half of the NH48 solo, completing them in 2019.
She then turned her sights onto the NE67 and 52 with a View (she’s done 35)
She knocked a few off in Maine then went to Vermont then back to Maine.
The last three in Baxter State Park were on her schedule for next year but she saw a good weather window and managed to get reservations on standby, so she went for it.
We are so proud of her. What a remarkable achievement.

She’s already talking about the Northeast 111 (actually 115). That would include the ADK46 and Hunter/Slide in the Catskills. Might have to join her for those.

Last edited:
I always wondered how long it takes mere mortals (as opposed to your sister!) to hike Katahdin.
Hiking Katahdin takes a bit of planning. Millinocket is the closest town and the park gate doesn’t open until 6am. The roads are gravel with a 20mph speed limit so it’s slow going. You also need a parking pass, secured in advance. This all makes for a late start, not good for an 8-12 hour hike with 4,000ft of elevation gain and much of it above tree line.

My sister lives on the North Shore of Boston, so it was a 5 hour drive just to get to the gate. Staying in the park allows you an earlier start but requires reservations that become available 4 months in advance and go quick. She got hers on standby when someone cancelled. Camping is primitive and she was able to car camp with a tent. No trailers, campers or dogs allowed. She was up at 4am. Still had to drive a little bit to get to the trailhead for a 5:45 start. Katahdin has two summits, Hamlin and Baxter. Baxter is higher and is the end/start of the Appalachian Trail with its iconic sign. She tagged both with an 11 hour day.

Mount Katahdin via Hamlin Ridge on AllTrails

Last edited:
Back