The Ugh Thread

Dealers just know the car. They charge more and will do things they think they can get away with. My experience they fix things right.

My first three CRVs I bought from Honda of Princeton. My last car, this one... they had two "options" that I told them I didn't want. Wheel locks and etched glass. They told me that they were automatically included.

I tried to explain that they aren't really options if I have to buy them. The answer stunned me. "If we call them options we don't have to include them in the advertised price." I found the next closest dealer (much farther away) and sent an email. Basically if you can match this price without adding in wheel locks and etched glass, I'll buy it. Done deal.

I've owned many cars since I was 20 years old and never had my wheels or car stolen. Seemed like a risk I was willing to take. I kept imagining getting a flat and not being able to find the key to the wheels. And $1500 seems like a lot for 4 nuts and some etching too.

The quality of dealer service around here is ..um...variable, and I think it is related to competitioin. There's one Volvo dealer and it's awful,at least one of the 2 Mazda dealers are awful, but the Honda dealers are pretty good. There are 8 Honda dealers around here, and one gives us a discount for health care workers. It brings the cost down to almost reasonable.
I don't understand why Honda doesn't protect dealers more. The last time we bought one, the manager gave us the hard sell on an extended warranty or some bullshit after we agreed on the price. In the middle of his obnoxious sales pitch, another dealer called me and I got him to beat the the first guy's deal right in front of him. That ended the sales pitch. That was my most fun car buying experience ever.

mm

My first three CRVs I bought from Honda of Princeton. My last car, this one... they had two "options" that I told them I didn't want. Wheel locks and etched glass. They told me that they were automatically included.

I tried to explain that they aren't really options if I have to buy them. The answer stunned me. "If we call them options we don't have to include them in the advertised price." I found the next closest dealer (much farther away) and sent an email. Basically if you can match this price without adding in wheel locks and etched glass, I'll buy it. Done deal.

I've owned many cars since I was 20 years old and never had my wheels or car stolen. Seemed like a risk I was willing to take. I kept imagining getting a flat and not being able to find the key to the wheels. And $1500 seems like a lot for 4 nuts and some etching too.
That stuff is bush league
Glad you found another dealership

I did. They didn't care.
Customer service is a lost art these days. In the grocery store, pharmacy, wherever, you get your f'n receipt and they say "Here you go" or "have a nice day." Thank you? Almost never.

I work in retail at present and that's one of the most basic things. There's 3 other wine shops within walking distance of where I work. I really try to make that connection with people.

Customer service is a lost art these days. In the grocery store, pharmacy, wherever, you get your f'n receipt and they say "Here you go" or "have a nice day." Thank you? Almost never.

I work in retail at present and that's one of the most basic things. There's 3 other wine shops within walking distance of where I work. I really try to make that connection with people.
My boss always says that good manners are free so use them.

At some point the economy will crash, unemployment will rise, and politeness will return.

Parts came in yesterday, very cool, Al started painting them today.

I dropped off my car, and my partner gave me a ride to the rental car place.

"Enterprise: We'll pick you up."

Ever heard that slogan? The guy laughed at me on the phone.

"Everyone asks that. It's not true."

My $40/ day insurance allotment gets me Jeep Compass. Anyone ever drive one?

It seems squirrelly to me, I think the wheelbase is too short. Brakes are grabby too.

Going to drive it as little as possible and try not to crash it.

Parts came in yesterday, very cool, Al started painting them today.

I dropped off my car, and my partner gave me a ride to the rental car place.

"Enterprise: We'll pick you up."

Ever heard that slogan? The guy laughed at me on the phone.

"Everyone asks that. It's not true."

My $40/ day insurance allotment gets me Jeep Compass. Anyone ever drive one?

It seems squirrelly to me, I think the wheelbase is too short. Brakes are grabby too.

Going to drive it as little as possible and try not to crash it.
it's squirrely cause it's is a Fiat 500...they took that piece of crap and bolted a jeep body on it...

Back