The Ugh Thread

I was going to Al for bodywork only at first I didn't know he was a mechanic. He had my car up on the lift, each year I'd ask him to raise it up and tell me how bad the rust was, to decide when to replace. My cars always rusted fast because I only drove them on weekends to ski.

One time he had it up and saw my new brakes, he asked me who did it, I told him the Honda dealer and the price. He said he would do that job for (I forget) but it was about 3x less.
I thought that what I paid for the brakes and shocks was pretty reasonable. ($1300) I may switch to a smaller garage after this. However, I do like the loaner option added in. I realize that it's probably built into the labor costs, but I live 20 minutes away from work, with no real bus service. I guess I could Uber it. But, I did get to drive a 2022 Honda HRV with 3000 miles on it. That thing was smarter than I am!

Dealers just know the car. They charge more and will do things they think they can get away with. My experience they fix things right.

Dealers just know the car. They charge more and will do things they think they can get away with. My experience they fix things right.
He tried to tell me I needed a bunch o'stuff because I hit the 60K mark. But, everything had been done recently, except the coolant flush. I bought the car at 36K from a dealer. I think that the car had everything new. I will do the coolant flush at 66K. I started a spreadsheet to keep track of stuff. ;)

I have been going to the same garage for years. It's part of a chain, but they had good managers there. Fast forward to this summer. They had a complete turnover and started with all new people. I took my car in because my traction light was staying on. The guy reset it and told me it probably wouldn't come back on. It did. I went back. He told me the B sensor on my clutch needed to be replaced and he would find one. I never heard back. A month or so later, I brought it in for vibrating brakes and asked about the clutch sensor. He said that they were discontinued, but he fixed it by screwing a drill bit into the part so that it would work. Excellent. He also replaced brake pads. I thought it was strange that he didn't do both pads and rotors, but OK. I still had vibrating brakes, so I took it back. There was also a noise in the back. This time, he replaced pads and rotors. I got hit with labor for the pads. He told me that he had not replaced the rotors because he couldn't get them. He said that the rattle was a bent heat shield, and they bent it back. I still had vibrating brakes and a rattle, so I took it back. They couldn't find the source of the rattle. I don't remember what the said about the brakes. I took it in one last time two weeks ago. A new guy was behind the desk. When I picked up my car, he said that they had scraped rust off the back brakes. I asked about the rattle. He said that the technicians never mentioned it. WTF? Did they not take it for a test drive ever???

I took auto mechanics in HS and am reasonably car savvy. Something still wasn't right, and I didn't think it was just a heat shield or rust on the brakes, or the new brakes needing to be broken in.

I ended up calling the dealer, which I have resisted ever since my auto mechanics teacher said never go to the dealer. I ended up with new back brakes and new shocks, which made total sense to me. The brakes stopped vibrating. The shock mounts were on back order, so I still have a bit of a rattle, but the car goes in next week and the rattle should be gone. I also asked about the B sensor. I was pretty sure that I found one just by googling it, and that it was and is available. The parts person at the dealer confirmed it.

So, I seem to have switched to a dealer. They gave me a loaner for overnight when I needed it, washed my car and even gave it shiny tires. It's all about the shiny tires. ;)
Ya never complained that much on here ever about yer horse, just saying.
They do have good vets at Cornell.

I thought that what I paid for the brakes and shocks was pretty reasonable. ($1300) I may switch to a smaller garage after this. However, I do like the loaner option added in. I realize that it's probably built into the labor costs, but I live 20 minutes away from work, with no real bus service. I guess I could Uber it. But, I did get to drive a 2022 Honda HRV with 3000 miles on it. That thing was smarter than I am!
it's not a bad price, mazda wanted 1500 just for brakes. a recommended local guy did for 900

He tried to tell me I needed a bunch o'stuff because I hit the 60K mark. But, everything had been done recently, except the coolant flush. I bought the car at 36K from a dealer. I think that the car had everything new. I will do the coolant flush at 66K. I started a spreadsheet to keep track of stuff. ;)
Last time I was at the dealer getting oil changed he told me the brake fluid needed to be changed. I only know enough about cars to get myself in trouble. I was miffed. I never changed brake fluid in a car in my entire life. He may have been right but I took a hard pass.

Last time I was at the dealer getting oil changed he told me the brake fluid needed to be changed. I only know enough about cars to get myself in trouble. I was miffed. I never changed brake fluid in a car in my entire life. He may have been right but I took a hard pass.
Around here you don't have to change it. By the time you do the brake lines rust out and you'll have to do it....lol
I had an older Corvette that the brake fluid would boil in. I changed the fluid to a high temp silicone fluid, wrapped the master cylinder with insulation, problem fixed.
How's your roadster ?? Back on the road?

Around here you don't have to change it. By the time you do the brake lines rust out and you'll have to do it....lol
I had an older Corvette that the brake fluid would boil in. I changed the fluid to a high temp silicone fluid, wrapped the master cylinder with insulation, problem fixed.
How's your roadster ?? Back on the road?
Head gasket blown. Finding mechanic to get it done is tough. If they are good you can't get an appointment. Left it at shop for 4 months. Kept putting me at the back of the line. I got pissed and towed it out of there. Back on the search. I may have to take it on myself. What could go wrong

Back