The overland craze is out of control

With newer cars it's seems it's harder to hit something head on. Do big trucks have that feature?

I saw a Yukon today. That had a pretty tall hood.

Except for people who actually need full-size trucks. Believe it or not, we do exist.
Exactly. My former brother in law is a landscaper, of course he needs a truck. When I finally move to the ADK, I might find that I need a truck, who knows. But down here (NJ), trucks are mainly jewelry.

Last edited:
Except for people who actually need full-size trucks. Believe it or not, we do exist.
He wasn't talking about trucks and people who use them for towing or other legitimate reasons. Definitely more focused on the SUV soccer mom thing. I said it early, I drive a lifted mid-sized truck and use it for "truck stuff", it's got pin striped paint and a bed caked with compost. I'm also capable of admitting it drives like shit as a daily, but it also is not some $85K pavement princess with heated leather seats, 4 doors and all the other bits and bobs running a massive ball hitch to scare people from tailgating and has never towed.

Exactly. My former brother in law is a landscaper, of course he needs a truck.
I’m gonna say it again: Mini vans are where it’s at
I’m a landscaper and I rarely use a pickup truck. I use my ebike to commute and can haul most tools and supplies with my cargo trailer. We use Mercedes Metris vans to haul more when necessary. If I need bulk delivery of mulch or stone I call in a real truck. We only use a pickup to haul the John Deere which is not often. I see people driving around with empty trucks or the opposite, with fully loaded trucks, when commuting or running errands. The majority of these trips can often be done with a more efficient vehicle or deleted all together.

Last edited:
with fully loaded trucks, when commuting or running errands.
Like the "overlanders" running a rooftop tent, maxtraxs, jerry cans and all the other bolt on accessories full time. I have a rooftop tent and use it often, I can never get the thing off my roof soon enough when I'm done with it. The way a lifted truck handles with an additional 500-1000 pounds strapped to the roof and in the bed is horrific and yet people run these as fashion accessories. It's just the evolution of Honda Civic tuner culture of the early 2000's, except now instead of trying to convey speed its all about ruggedness.

Also definitely share photos of the ebike landscaper set up when its convenient, thats super rad.

Back