The overland craze is out of control

London has been using ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone) fines.
Cameras take a pic and ya get the bill.
Yeah, that’s a different thing.

I looked into this (because when I was driving around Portugal, Google would tell me that my route was going through a low emission area and I didn’t know what they were talking about). Apparently, they have some areas that you are not allowed to drive old cars (with old emission standards) into on bad air quality days.

The New York thing will be based on weight, not emissions.

Here we go!

"Such standards would be impossible to meet for the cars currently manufactured for U.S. customers, where the hoods of SUVs and trucks routinely soar above adult shoulders."

Routinely soar above adults shoulders? I'm not saying the vehicle height isn't an issue that has pretty much been proven. But that kind of wording make me wonder about the agenda.

Yeah, that’s a different thing.

I looked into this (because when I was driving around Portugal, Google would tell me that my route was going through a low emission area and I didn’t know what they were talking about). Apparently, they have some areas that you are not allowed to drive old cars (with old emission standards) into on bad air quality days.

The New York thing will be based on weight, not emissions.
In London ya can be fined every day. Some folks just pay it like a toll.

Aren’t EV’s heavier cause of the battery thingy

Last edited:
I can't find the exact specs, but the hood of my neighbor's Ford Bronco might be almost at my shoulders at 5'6". You couldn't design a better vehicle for accidentally running over small children.

I can't find the exact specs, but the hood of my neighbor's Ford Bronco might be almost at my shoulders at 5'6". You couldn't design a better vehicle for accidentally running over small children.
Guy in the town where I work has a Chevy Black Widow truck. Near as I can make out, Black Widow is an aftermarket tuner of trucks the way AMG tunes Mercedes Benzes. Their specialty is lift kits more than huge motors. Top of the tailgate is at the bridge of my nose, I think it's a 5" lift. Truck doesn't appear to have ever been off road of used for work.

Guy in the town where I work has a Chevy Black Widow truck. Near as I can make out, Black Widow is an aftermarket tuner of trucks the way AMG tunes Mercedes Benzes. Their specialty is lift kits more than huge motors. Top of the tailgate is at the bridge of my nose, I think it's a 5" lift. Truck doesn't appear to have ever been off road of used for work.
Trucks like that don't sneak up on you. Probably a pretty easy truck if you are a pedestrian to get the heck out of the way of.

Honda pilot
20230624_160857.jpg

seems like a reasonable height for the hood

I’m a truck guy but things are getting crazy not so much hood but overall height. My one friend had a Ford pickup that has an automatic running board that lowers so you can get in . The thing that annoys me is night driving, having a tailgater filling my vehicle with blinding lights.

From an aerodynamics view it’s antithetical to drag reduction. There’s a huge Mpg penalty for high profile vehicles. If I can find a truck driving close to my speed I’ll draft at a safe distance.

Maybe they can add cameras? They have backup cameras with proximity alerts, the technology is there.

Last edited:
Back