The overland craze is out of control

Road cycling is scary AF.
Back in the day, I was hit by a car. Lucky not to get badly hurt. Woman told the cop she was only looking for other cars. Broad daylight, she cruised thru a stop sign.

A few years back, a f'n school bus passed me with a foot to spare. No shoulder, I had nowhere to go. An old lady driving an old Mercedes turned left right in front of me, despite the strobe light on the front of the bike. I could go on. I've stopped road riding.

suv's, ev's, compacts , bikes, peds - I think everyone is just getting dumber and gives less fucks about other humans more every day...

Had a 10 speed bought from a local high schooler for transportation when I was first at Ole Miss.
Bought a couple used little motorcycles (Yamaha 125 & later a Honda 175) afterwards to pair with a 67 chevy pickup truck.
None of em had AC & the 2 wheelers didn’t need it.
Brought the Honda 175 back to CNY when I came back.
It’s never been ridden in NYS due to too much traffic & I like my skin and bones.

I guess we are pretty OT but whatever.

I've come to the conclusion that our trails are so busy, because road bikers have given up the road. Traded in their skinny tires for knobbies and relative safety.

I talked to two guys who told me a similar story in the last few weeks.
I stopped riding on the road years ago. I don't even have a road bike anymore. The roads around me are narrow with little or no shoulders. The increased traffic due to developed has made the roads busier. But the biggest thing is I don't want to get run over by someone on their phone texting. The park trails and rail trails are much safer and nicer than being on the road.

Is that in vehicle deaths, or pedestrian deaths?
There’s a lot of ebike fire deaths lately in NYC.
"So far this year, the FDNY has responded to about three lithium-ion battery fires a week, officials said...
As of Tuesday, 13 people have been killed in e-bike fires this year, Fire Commissioner Laura Kavanagh said. This time last year, only two deaths were attributed to lithium-ion battery fires."

The 51 traffic fatalities in Q1 '23 references all modes of transportation which NYC DOT breaks out into 4 categories, pedestrian, bicyclist, MVO and other motorized. I can't find a breakout for pedestrian specifically but as it relates to this thread the bicyclist data is alarming, being a NY metro area cyclist might explain my opinion and impression on the increase in fatalities.

Nine bike riders were killed in the first quarter, a record under Vision Zero. This is more than the first quarters of 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 combined. Seven of the previous nine years had two or fewer bike rider fatalities in the first quarter. Of the nine bike riders, five were killed by SUVs or trucks link & DOT Report
There has been a big increase in bike riders in NYC compared to all those years referenced. Is the death per miles ridden higher or lower? I am going to guess the rate is lower. Additionally, low numbers are subject to crazy variances year to year due to small sample sizes.

The TA website is doing a real good job of cherry picking the numbers that meet their agenda and not telling the whole story.

Back