The overland craze is out of control

I’m convinced the main cause is texting and driving. Everyone has their phone in their hands. Number one reason I won’t ride bike.
The bridge getting hit may had a some of 'em due to software telling the driver the "best route" without regard for the vehicle’s height vs. the bridge's clearance.
Un-artificially dumb.

The bridge getting hit may had a some of 'em due to software telling the driver the "best route" without regard for the vehicle’s height vs. the bridge's clearance.
Un-artificially dumb.
The Can Opener Bridge videos are oddly funny to watch.

I was driving downtown in a large city today. It amazed me how stupid and entitled the pedestrians were. Walking off the sidewalk between a cube van and another car, etc. I was surprised that there weren't fatalities every day. And city bicyclists.....traffic laws apply to every one but them it seems.

It’s not just texting. Cell phones predate texting, and now we have touch screens. It’s a 25 year accumulation of distractions.

mm
Total distraction. Just take a look at other drivers that are swerving or all over the road. Their eating, drinking, looking in the mirror, fixing hair/makeup, texting, talking. It honestly feels like paying attention to the road and their surroundings is about the 3rd or 4th most important thing on their list at any given moment.

Didn't you say you were going to get a big vehicle for a four person family? Do as I say not as I do? You can only control you. Lead by example.
Were the ladies hot?

Yes, cause it's an arms race, not because I actually want an SUV.

Didn't get a great look but no I don't recall them being attractive

I was driving downtown in a large city today. It amazed me how stupid and entitled the pedestrians were. Walking off the sidewalk between a cube van and another car, etc. I was surprised that there weren't fatalities every day. And city bicyclists.....traffic laws apply to every one but them it seems.
Disagree.

IDK about other states but in NJ pedestrians have right of way. That doesn't excuse pedestrians from doing dopey stuff, but still. Many people behind the wheel seem to have forgotten that. Add in failing to come o a full stop at a stop sign or before a right turn on red. Behind the wheel, a culture of having to beat the other guy has definitely, and unfortunately, evolved.

I once saw a woman in an SUV make a left turn and plow into a 12 year old in a crosswalk. Traumatizing.

I once read a book about traffic safety (which I can't remember the title or author). The premise was that "traffic calming," meaning fewer through streets, narrower lanes, shorter sightlines and fewer signs and lights caused slower speeds and more attentive drivers and resulted in a safer environment for pedestrians. To prove his point, the guy closed his eyes and walked across a traffic circle that was designed by those principles. I'm pretty sure he didn't do that in Clifton Park.

mm

Back