The overland craze is out of control

I drive big, heavy, 3/4 ton trucks because I like them.
Yeah, I think he’s saying that it’s a free country & people are free to make their individual choices, but one of the consequences of those choices is increasing (preventable) deaths.
How about a graph?
67CEAF29-3FC0-4B37-949B-CC5540FB58C1.png

So much of today’s society is the “roll coal-ification” of America:

Rolling coal is new; it just caught on a few years ago. It does not improve the performance of a truck. It has no practical application or pragmatic purpose of any kind. It is purely aggressive, a raw expression of defiance: I can pollute your air, for no reason, and no one can stop me.

It is what it is. And now lawmakers are cracking down on it.

Which brings us to our quote.

But to diesel owners like Corey Blue of Roanoke, Ill., the very efforts to ban coal rolling represent the worst of government overreach and environmental activism. "Your bill will not stop us!" Mr. Blue wrote to Will Guzzardi, a state representative who has proposed a $5,000 fine on anyone who removes or alters emissions equipment.
"Why don’t you go live in Sweden and get the heck out of our country," Mr. Blue wrote. "I will continue to roll coal anytime I feel like and fog your stupid eco-cars."

My apologies to Mr. Blue for using him as a synecdoche here, but … this really captures something.

The core of the ethnonationalist perspective is that a country’s constituent groups and demographics are locked in a zero-sum struggle for resources. Any government intervention that favors one group disfavors the others. Government and other institutions are either with you or against you.
(From: https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2016/9/9/12843120/rolling-coal-government-overreach)

Yeah, I think he’s saying that it’s a free country & people are free to make their individual choices, but one of the consequences of those choices is increasing (preventable) deaths.
How about a graph?
View attachment 20474

(From: https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2016/9/9/12843120/rolling-coal-government-overreach)
Don't you have a big travel van? The number of pedestrian deaths have gone up cause people are stupid. Cars are big.... Just cause you have the right away does not mean getting hit by that car won't hurt. Pedestrians be ware get the heck out if the way.

How about a graph?
View attachment 20474

I know what he's saying, just like I know what you're saying.
I drive big trucks with big motors. Lead, follow, or get the fugg out of my way!

For myself, I can't justify owning a truck. When I finally move north, if I need to gather wood for a wood stove or plow a driveway, it could be a different story. One of the places I looked at this week, driveway a little too big for a snow blower.

Don't you have a big travel van? The number of pedestrian deaths have gone up cause people are stupid. Cars are big.... Just cause you have the right away does not mean getting hit by that car won't hurt. Pedestrians be ware get the heck out if the way.
Yes. But it’s not really the size of the vehicle, so much as the sight lines:
C6FF61B4-3137-49E9-8934-CB9D0C1AD99B.png

And yeah, that’s what I’m saying. There is a pervasive attitude of “I’m gonna do this shit & you can’t stop me. Get the fuck out of my way”

Like, we have finally gotten to the point where (most of) these guys have finally accepted that littering & dumping used oil down the sewer is bad & maybe the penalties for them are appropriate. So the “I’m gonna do this shit & you can’t stop me” attitude can be changed in some respects. It just takes a loooooooong time.

Side story. We used to play frogger on hoosick Street when were really young. 5-10 years old. There were fewer pick up trucks but cars were way bigger. I learned young that directional lights on a car only told me they worked

That chart to some extent reflects the popularity of SUVs more than anything. Should probably be done by weight.

"Average" car weighs ~4400 pounds, a Honda HRV weighs 3300, but would be considered large in that graph. Both the Honda CRV and RAV4 (top selling SUVs) are less than 4400.

The number of pedestrian fatalities should be a percentage not a number. How do the number of cars on the road and the population today compare to 2008?

Also what happened in 2012?

Not saying there isn't something there, but the way the stats are presented seems off.

Nationally, there were 1.04 pedestrian deaths per 100,000 people in 2022, up significantly from 0.90 in 2019. The data analysis was conducted by Elizabeth Petraglia, Ph.D., of research firm Westat.

Easy information to find, with plenty of articles and studies showing how bigger, heavier vehicles with horrible sight-lines are killing us.

I literally just watched a Chevy Tahoe swerve way too fast in downtown Maplewood to park in front of the Palmers Bakery, hit the curve, pop up, and then scrape the bumper on the way down. Two women in "athleisure" got out and went to the Pilates studio. Did you really need a Chevy Tahoe for that?

I buy the sightline thing more than the weight. How many pedestrians get hit by a car would have lived if the car was lighter?

I also think there could be an increase in distracted driving.

Cell phones in use:

2008 - 60,000,000
2023 - 300,000,000

Top causes of car accidents:

Speeding
Drunk Driving
Distractions
Cell Phone
Weather
Red Light Accidents
Driver Fatigue

All of which could kill pedestrians.