The overland craze is out of control

Roof box is much better then a roof rack. No road salt. And if your driving an SUV with a 6-7 foot high roof then yeah, it's a pain in the ass. Another reason why today's vehicles are actually less practical then the station wagons of yore.

My Thule Alpine box is great, probably only a few mpg ding but haven't fully tested that.
Yup I wouldn't even consider putting my skis on top in a rack. Box only for me. My Yakima box on my CRV doesn’t make a difference in MPG that I've noticed.

Plus it's way better to not have skis and poles dinging up the interior.

@MC2 my original point was NOT to impugn Josh wines. Rather, I take care of people with a budget the same way I take care of the heavy hitters for whom money is no object. A little kindness goes a long way in life.
The other that I've learned is that people buying a "subie", or Josh, doesn't mean they can't afford a Benz, or insert any whine here ________. Rather they don't see the value in "X".

My Thule Alpine box is great, probably only a few mpg ding but haven't fully tested that.

I'd be surprised if a roof box didn't cost you 10%. What year CRV do you have, what do you cruise at on the highway and what mileage do you get? I found the digital mpg calculator to be super accurate.

The hot setup for carrying skis IMO is to be local (not a lot of luggage) and drive a truck with a tonneau cover.

The other that I've learned is that people buying a "subie", or Josh, doesn't mean they can't afford a Benz, or insert any whine here ________. Rather they don't see the value in "X".
I've got one private client who drives a Chevy Suburban and drops $175 - $250 per bottle of wine. A $50 bottle is his daily, so to speak :D Another private client, he owns a Range Rover, BMW 7 series, and a Porsche. $60 is his upper limit. It's all good. Depends on one's priorities.

Last edited:
I am 100% getting your point. Ban them because you don’t like them?
That's not the point. It's not about something anyone doesn't like, it's about something that may be unnecessarily unsafe. There's at least some data implying that heavy vehicles are leading to more highway and pedestrian deaths. The answer can't be "stay home" or "I'll do whatever I want" or "fuck you." The data may be misleading or even completely wrong, but it should still be addressed.
FWIW I think the hazards of heavy vehicles (and DWI for that matter) are overstated, and touch screens and other distractions are way underrated, but that's just my opinion and I have no real data to support it. Increased traffic deaths are a problem worth solving, just the way DWI was 30 years ago.

mm

Last edited:
IDK.... I've seen my share of Prii (Pree-eye, plural of Prius) up in VT rocking Nokian snow tires. In snow, IMHO, you're better off with a slightly underpowered vehicle. But that's perhaps because those are what I've driven.
I knew a guy who crossed App Gap in a Prius every day to work at Sugarbush. He used snow tires but he still had to pull the fuse on the traction control. That's a sub-optimum solution. I think EV power control on winter roads may be a more difficult problem most people expect. When I get an EV it's gotta have some kind of snow driving mode, AWD or not.

+1 about underpowered.

mm

Last edited:
To be fair though, Vermonters and their automobile choices are not the best indication of snow worthy vehicles, they'll stick studs on just about FWD beater and still rally it up App Gap in the middle of a blizzard, at night. True story.
I've done App Gap with FWD and studless snows in storms, and more than once. Beaters are the best cars in the winter, but it's not really a beater if it has good tires, and you really don't want to get salt and stuff all over your Raptor if you can just get a Pontiac Vibe for the winter.

mm

Last edited:
Back