The Definitive Solution to the Upstate NY Question

Chatham is definitely Upstate. But I think I have the final definitive answer. If you open Waze on your phone, and it tells you there are less than 10,000 Wazers near you, you are Upstate.

mm
What the hell is Waze and Wazers?
Must be livin a sheltered life.
If one don’t know one could be in the upstate as well.

Car has it.
Waze is way better than any navigation system built into a car. Especially if driving far away from home where accidents and construction are likely to cause traffic backups. Waze users can report issues in real time. That means it's possible to tell if an accident happened 15 min ago or 2 hours ago if taking a detour is an option.

Waze is way better than any navigation system built into a car. Especially if driving far away from home where accidents and construction are likely to cause traffic backups. Waze users can report issues in real time. That means it's possible to tell if an accident happened 15 min ago or 2 hours ago if taking a detour is an option.
Thanks, I’ll check it out but really don’t make many trips lately for some reason.
Prefer backroads to interstates.

Thanks, I’ll check it out but really don’t make many trips lately for some reason.
Prefer backroads to interstates.
The combination I use is a Garmin as an interactive map and Waze. When I drove from Ithaca to Albany a couple weeks ago I forced the Garmin to route via US20 from I-88 instead of following the suggestion of either GPS system to take the NY Thruway. When I have time, I'll wander around backroads. Helps a lot to have Waze, compared to having to constantly check a paper map. I finally stopped carrying a USA book map a couple years ago. Even when I ignore Waze, I know I'll eventually end up at my destination once it figures out what I'm actually doing.

Learned about Waze several years ago from my ski buddy who lives in Albuquerque. When he drives cross-country to NY to visit friends and family, or to pick me up in SLC, it can be handy to have some warning that Police have been spotted. Very useful on the highways in southern VA, where the State Police are always lurking.

Back