The College Thread: Skiing, Academics, Experiences.

Just got an excited snapchat call. Daughter got into SUNY Stony Brook this am, her first choice. The place has a huge Physics department, and that is her thing.

They also gave her some coin, based on merit (gpa) so we are digging that too. By her junior (sophomore?) year we should be in NY long enough to get an instate rate.

It's so easy to apply to another school, once you've done one, because they all use the same application now. Be interesting to see what she does if she gets in to some other schools.

If she gets into Villanova, and they give her some money, she might go there.

I went to a private school and it was a great experience, but I'm not convinced that a school is better (for you) just because it costs a bundle.

A bit OT because not sure it really relates skiing. Hoping she comes home on vacation and skis Gore with us.

Congrats, Harvey. I live pretty close to SUNY Stony Brook and my wife works there (in Chemistry). You can get to/from Gore in under 5 hours (barring traffic of course). Belleayre is 3ish.

Long Island is a travel nightmare. She also applied to New Paltz (and got in) which would have been super convenient for seeing her and much better for skiing.

But she ran the whole show herself, picking schools and applying, all I really did was pay.

Long Island is a travel nightmare.
Nassau is far worse than Suffolk. Saturday and Sunday until about noon is clear sailing.

For weekend trips, I usually leave on the later side Friday evening (6/7) and by the time I get back on Sunday the only hangups are getting through the Bronx or merging from the Cross Island onto the LIE.

I'll never forget a meeting I had on Long Island, in Glen Cove.

90 miles from my house, it took 4 hours to get there.

Nassau is far worse than Suffolk but if ya come from off the island ya gotta go through Nassau regardless so it almost doesn't matter. I've spent far too many hours of my life wading in traffic on the LIE and Sunrise Highway then only to get stuck on the Cross Bronx on the way out. That said congrats to your daughter Harvey, the Stony Brook Port Jeff area is nice and pretty low key by L.I. standards, also a lot of mountain biking out that way if you're visiting.

Sounds like your daughter is doing big things, that’s awesome Harv. I went to the Stony Brook School for a year (not the university) and didn’t have a car. My mom would drop me off in Bridgeport and I would get a walk-on ticket for the ferry to Port Jeff. It’s not quicker than driving around but it’s much less stressful. Lots of good memories riding that ferry, it’s a beautiful ride. Quite a few out-islanders take the ferry on the weekends with cars to go ski Mt. Snow and points north.

Back