The College Thread: Skiing, Academics, Experiences.

Very much so. Like the way you included the history about how it has changed. Answered a bunch of questions I have always wondered about but was too lazy to go look up.
It is great that you have the intellectual curiosity about just how this sector functions . Thanks for YOUR interest.

If only more folks would do so, meaningful dialogue between colleges and parents would help address concerns .

Knowledge is power ,but it all starts with curiosity

Last edited:
any colleges especially those with modest endowments , because of tuition discounting NEED to be entrepreneurial and also raise private funds , compete for federal and state grants and contracts to provide future stabilization . Also in the madness to compete for enrollment especially in time when the BIRTH DEARTH impacts colleges built , perhaps overbuilt some pretty expensive facilities that are bonded over a 30-35 yr period and have bonded indebtedness issues and so in times of declining state support in the case of public colleges all these pressres converge and fundraising is an imperative . Moreover with unionization ( i dealt with 5 ) both salaries and benefits must be competitive and we all know how the cost of health insurance has accellerated to some multiple factor of normal inflationary cost overthe past decade
The need to raise money impacts the job that being a professor has become as well. My father taught at Brooklyn College, part of CCNY, for a few decades. He never needed to be on campus during the summers. He took 3 sabbaticals to travel with family and teach in other countries. That made it easy for him to be well connected with other professors in his field in many countries on multiple continents. By the time I was in grad school in the 1980s, my professors were working most of the summer. They had to spend a fair amount of time getting grants that would bring in money to support their department and grad students. Leaving town for 2-3 months during the summer was not common. My first advisor for Biostatistics was a very good teacher. However, he didn't publish much and wasn't being promoted. He left to work in industry.

Not exactly a simple answer, but a start:

Since I live in North Carolina, we focused on the UNC System when looking for colleges. There are 17 campuses to choose from. The priority for my daughter was fit and feel more than a particular major. The large campuses such as Carolina or N.C. State with thousands of grad students were not going to break a good fit. I attended Carolina long ago. UNC Asheville was my first choice because UNCA has about 4000 undergrads and only a couple of departments have a grad program. That means all the courses are taught by professors. There are few classes even for freshmen with more than 40 students.

She applied to 5 colleges and was accepted by 3. Happily, UNC Asheville not only accepted her, it has rolling admission. That meant she had the acceptance in hand by mid-October, just a few weeks after submitting her application. That took off a lot of pressure off while waiting to see what the other colleges would do.

The need to raise money impacts the job that being a professor has become as well. My father taught at Brooklyn College, part of CCNY, for a few decades. He never needed to be on campus during the summers. He took 3 sabbaticals to travel with family and teach in other countries. That made it easy for him to be well connected with other professors in his field in many countries on multiple continents. By the time I was in grad school in the 1980s, my professors were working most of the summer. They had to spend a fair amount of time getting grants that would bring in money to support their department and grad students. Leaving town for 2-3 months during the summer was not common. My first advisor for Biostatistics was a very good teacher. However, he didn't publish much and wasn't being promoted. He left to work in industry.
Indeed THAT became the case for many academic professionals to one degree or another as you cite . The gap between Direct state support and actual cost of COMPETITIVE operations continues to widen. Ergo : Many top quality professionals WITH options have exercised them

"Stanley said town supervisors have lamented an atmosphere in which a kid hired as a lifeguard could outearn an employee of the town highway crew."
The problem is not that lifeguards make too much, it's tthat highway crews don't make enough.

Several years ago, one of my lifeguard friends was a negotiator for the Jones Beach Lifeguard Corps contract. He told me he was a highly trained professional, with uncommon skills that few people are capable of, responsible for a critical public safety function in the most important recreational resource in New York state. My neighbor who was on the opposite side of the negotiation thought they were just guys who wanted to meet girls. Maybe that's why it took them 11 years to settle.

mm

Last edited:
Flagstaff and NAU may be one of the bet college/ski towns in the country. The place is popping with young people, they have live dj's on the weekends up there, music, killer deck/parking lot party scene etc.

Snowmaking has made the place a sure thing and with a warming climate there seems to be more regular, large storms that hit us nearly every winter. There's also a vibrant park scene. If it's not storming it's sunny and beautiful and the downtown is charming with tons of good restaurants and bars.

I would be surprised if we don't become recognized as one of the top 5-10 in the next few years a people figure it out.

Flagstaff and NAU may be one of the bet college/ski towns in the country. The place is popping with young people, they have live dj's on the weekends up there, music, killer deck/parking lot party scene etc.

Snowmaking has made the place a sure thing and with a warming climate there seems to be more regular, large storms that hit us nearly every winter. There's also a vibrant park scene. If it's not storming it's sunny and beautiful and the downtown is charming with tons of good restaurants and bars.

I would be surprised if we don't become recognized as one of the top 5-10 in the next few years a people figure it out.
I like Flag, been there twice..real cool place

Back