Tales from The Road

With all my stuff I go right by what the manufacturers recommend service is. That's what will make them last, imo.
I agree except for this...

Honda tells me 10,000 (!) on an oil change. I do every 5000, and every time Duncan tells me... "it was pretty black."

Does the turbo do that?

Al uses synthetic in my car (swears by it) does that get dark quicker? Seems to me you can be down a quart more easily with synthetic. Like somehow it gets by the rings easier.

Honda tells me 10,000 (!) on an oil change. I do every 5000, and every time Duncan tells me... "it was pretty black."

Does the turbo do that?
I agree with this. Honestly I'm still a fan of the 3mo, 3000mile interval. I'd use non synthetic oil too. Synthetic oil, guessing Honda recommends it, is to allow one to go longer in oil change intervals thus the 10k interval. I believe an oil change is cheap preventive maintenance, especially for turbo cars as the oil is what keeps it cool. Flushing the radiator is also key on turbo cars.
No, turbo shouldn't make the oil darker.

Does the turbo do that?

Al uses synthetic in my car (swears by it) does that get dark quicker? Seems to me you can be down a quart more easily with synthetic. Like somehow it gets by the rings easier.
If you are down a quart and you don't have a leak I would venture to guess they didn't fill it up all the way. You shouldn't really burn any oil. I go 12 with full synthetic. That's when they light comes on. Everything I read says you are throwing good oil away changing it at five.

So it's ok for it to be black? Sincere question.

Sometimes, at 5000 I am down a quart. Sometimes not. Haven't tracked it carefully.

Winter, the car is garage kept at home but has some brutal cold startups at the cabin. Maybe that is related.

So it's ok for it to be black? Sincere question.
Yes
I agree with TJ in that you shouldn't be using that kind of oil. That said, some manufacturers will claim that to be "normal", I cry foul. That's BS unless you're in the 100k mile plus on your rig, then ok.

Winter, the car is garage kept at home but has some brutal cold startups at the cabin.
Dig a garage in the side of the hill where it’s dry if they’ll let ya for yer new place.
It’ll be a lot warmer winter and somewhat cooler in summer.

Yes
I agree with TJ in that you shouldn't be using that kind of oil. That said, some manufacturers will claim that to be "normal", I cry foul. That's BS unless you're in the 100k mile plus on your rig, then ok.
I'll ask Duncan if it was down this time.

It feels wierd to be packing the car with skis.

Back