Spring Weather 2023

It’s not gonna rain for a week either ... which is nice.

The recent warm thunderstorms did ‘em all in in CNY. (Greek, Song, Bristol)

Tis about time for more Gore and/or golf.

Last edited:
Got my bikini back from the dry cleaner

Hopefully @MarzNC can fill us in and have a safe fun skiing trip.
Made it to Brighton this afternoon after landing in SLC at 11am. Was in the mid-30s on the road as Bill drove up. Even though we got to the parking lot at 1:30, it took a while to luck out and find someone leaving.

The slopes were pretty skied out already. I gather the parking lot was full pretty early. With the sun and warm air temps, the snow was heavy. But it was clear that there was good snow left in shady areas. We didn't have time to explore much.

As for the snow along the road . . . wow, just wow. I've been skiing at Alta and around SLC in April for a decade. The amount of snow is off the scale for the Wasatch. On the way down it was slow going past Solitude so it became easy to tell where UDOT had to clear a slide that left snow and debris on the roadway. No way to keep a count of how many slides they had to deal with.

Almost to Brighton on the way up
Brighton road 06Apr2023 - 1.jpeg

On the way down
Brighton road 06Apr2023 - 2.jpeg
Brighton road 06Apr2023 - 3.jpeg

Had fun at Snowbasin today. Spring skiing with temps in the 30s. People who hiked after avy gates opened could still find cold snow. Otherwise it was groomers or frozen crud except in the few areas that are more shaded in the afternoons. Don't know Snowbasin well enough to find too many of those.

Trail signs almost buried
Snowbasin deep snow 07Apr2023 - 1 (1).jpeg
Snowbasin deep snow 07Apr2023 - 3.jpeg

Can you see the folks skiing off the ridge top? This was about 3pm, there were more a few hours before
Snowbasin hike to 07Apr2023 - 1.jpeg

The slides that UDOT is dealing with in LCC are massive. Alta and Snowbird groomers have been helping out at times. This drone footage was made with the permission of the various organizations responsible for keeping people safe in LCC.

April 7, 2023

Back