Snowmaking

Bristol has a good base, but they have been known to blow snow in March. We'll see how things look after next weeks warmup.
Do ya know Ron Ratnik?
Worked at GM in Rochester, tinkered and his ❄️ devices got their start at Bristol.

Voting started and goes until Jan. 23. While I'll probably vote for Massanutten given that it's my home mountain, the Bryce video is more fun. Haven't watched the others yet. Been enjoying what the Massanutten snowmaking team managed to do in the last week of cold weather.
It’s kinda impressive what the SE bumps do to cover their slopes.
It seems they have higher percentage of open slopes as well as base depths than most places in the NE.
Maybe they’re used to this kinda weather & have infrastructure to pound out snow when weather windows permit.
This place looks nice.
What’s it like @MarzNC?

Last edited:
It’s kinda impressive what the SE bumps do to cover their slopes.
It seems they have higher percentage of open slopes as well as base depths than most places in the NE.
Maybe they’re used to this kinda weather & have infrastructure to pound out snow when weather windows permit.
This place looks nice.
What’s it like @MarzNC?
Yep, 100% snowmaking coverage and the ability to put down a solid re-surfacing and/or whales in 2-3 days is the only way that the ski areas/resorts that survived into the 2000s can have a season from mid-Dec to early March. Sugar wasn't the only resort in NC founded in the 1960s. Keep in mind that Beech Mountain is over 5000 ft. It's on par with Denver in terms of elevation.

Haven't skied Sugar for quite a while, as in about 15 years. Gunther has slowly but surely added faster lifts and even a few trails in the last 10 years or so. It's a family operation and likely to stay that way. Qualifies as a "ski resort" since there is slopeside lodging. Has plenty of people who drive for a day trip.

Sugar, Beech, and App are close together. Only 20-30 min drive between them. Sugar is always trying to be "first to open" even if it's only one trail from the top. Cataloochee (near Asheville) and App are usually in the running too.

Anyone interested in skiing in the southeast can learn a lot from the second version of Southern Snow. The first book was published in 1986. The updated version came out in 2019. Even includes a section about backcountry skiing.

Thanks for yer feedback Marz.
The AT goes “nearby” to those 3. When that Austrian dude began putting his touches on Sugar I was sweating it out on over on the trail. Fun times.

Somebody wrote a song about Sugar Mountain.
Nice song, but given that he's Canadian I doubt very much the song has anything to do with Sugar in North Carolina.

Back