Roller Coaster Thread

Cedar Fair built two Intimidator coasters in 2010, themed to Dale Earnhardt, for the southeast parks Carowinds and Kings Dominion. The idea was to get a headlining attraction into these two parks they had acquired just a few years earlier, and the name/theme was intended to capitalize on the millions of Nascar fans in the area. Carowinds got a B&M hyper, but Kings Dominion is close to Busch Gardens Williamsburg, which already had one, so the one upped them with an Intamin giga. This should've been not only the headlining attraction in the park, but for the entire region. Unfortunately, I think I-305 was a complete flop from a business perspective. A giga at any park should be the headlining attraction and draw the longest lines, but I-305 is usually no more than a station wait. The average guest just finds it too intense. Meanwhile, the Carowinds version is much more popular, despite having less impressive stats.

For sustained... it is probably the first turn on Intimidator 305 at King's Dominion. It is a guaranteed gray out for most riders. Probably a sustained +4Gs? A lot of coasters have a short peak of G forces, I305's is long and sustained.

Due to complaints from guests after it opened, the park had the manufacturer reprofile the first turn due to people blacking out. To this day, due to its intensity, the rollercoaster receives relatively low ridership considering its stats (one of only a few coasters with a 300+ foot tall drop).

B&M pretzel loops are pretty crushing (sno mentioned Superman at SFGAdv).

For helix elements, I've always found Raptor at Cedar Point to be particularly strong, especially when the trains are hauling. But more foot tingly than gray out, for me.
I know when Maverick was built at Cedar Point they had what they called a heart roll and they had to take it out due to G forces

So now that Kingda Ka is back open, I need to decide whether to make another trip to New Jersey to ride it. I recall someone back on the old forum referring to Lookout Mountain at Whiteface as an elusive mistress. Kingda Ka can be too. I've heard of people who've visited the park many times and have never had the chance to ride it.

I have a love/hate relationship with Kingda Ka. I love that it's the tallest roller coaster in the world, and provides a super intense ride. Going up that tower is probably the closest any of us will experience to a space shuttle liftoff. I hate the fact that it didn't open till around 1 and has broken down 3 times since then. Also, this is it's 17th birthday. It opened for the first time on May 21st 2005.

20220521_191454.jpg

I have a love/hate relationship with Kingda Ka. I love that it's the tallest roller coaster in the world, and provides a super intense ride. Going up that tower is probably the closest any of us will experience to a space shuttle liftoff. I hate the fact that it didn't open till around 1 and has broken down 3 times since then. Also, this is it's 17th birthday. It opened for the first time on May 21st 2005.

View attachment 15098
Did you get on it?

View attachment 15098
You should try 65 mph straight lines down 13 thousand foot backcountry peaks on yer skis!

Back