Roller Coaster Thread

I guess a RC is the closest thing to being in a fighter plane..
what is the highest G load that you can experience on a coaster?

fighter pulls 9.. and you start to grey out on coaster..yikes

fighter pulls 9.. and you start to grey out on coaster..yikes
Just the first time I rode it, I saw a little bit of of gray in my peripheral vision. I wouldn’t say I was close to passing out- just that I could tell something was happening. Since then (knowing it’s coming) I haven’t. What Sno reported is a little alarming. If I experienced that I would go to a doctor, get on a rigorous exercise program etc… 4.3 Gs is a lot but shouldn’t be that big a deal. Even veteran fighter pilots wearing G suits get knocked out by 9 Gs some times. You and me wouldn’t stand a chance.

I don't think it's necessarily the magnitude of the force, but how sustained it is that determines if you experience a grey-out or black-out. Nitro has very sustained g force in that helix, so that's why I sometimes grey out there. I think the highest g force you can get on any roller coaster is around 6, but it's not very sustained. Obviously, fighter pilots can experience a lot higher, but they have extensive training, and equipment for it. Roller coaster passengers do not.

Hey Sno, have you ever been on Kingda Ka when it didn’t get over the top and rolled back into the station? That would be cool I think but I’ve never experienced it.

Rollbacks with riders are very rare. I heard they average around 2 per week, and the ride can cycle hundreds of times each day. I've been on Kingda Ka, but never experienced a rollback, nor have I seen one in-person.

what is the highest G load that you can experience on a coaster?
For sustained... it is probably the first turn on Intimidator 305 at King's Dominion. It is a guaranteed gray out for most riders. Probably a sustained +4Gs? A lot of coasters have a short peak of G forces, I305's is long and sustained.

Due to complaints from guests after it opened, the park had the manufacturer reprofile the first turn due to people blacking out. To this day, due to its intensity, the rollercoaster receives relatively low ridership considering its stats (one of only a few coasters with a 300+ foot tall drop).

B&M pretzel loops are pretty crushing (sno mentioned Superman at SFGAdv).

For helix elements, I've always found Raptor at Cedar Point to be particularly strong, especially when the trains are hauling. But more foot tingly than gray out, for me.

Back