Ramps

I’ve seen them pickled for preservation but never thought of dehydrating them. That must be a fairly stinky process. I’m sure the result is worth it. We’ve made pesto from them before which is so good. Same with garlic mustard. I have two transplanted patches that have been fun to observe. One is by the creek and one is up in the sugarbush and they seem to be different varieties. One is darker, more compact and clustered. The other is lighter in color, larger and spread out. I suppose this could be because of their different habitats. They were dug from separate locations a great distance apart and it makes sense that there could be different eco types
View attachment 9168The small leaves are from the seeds of the previous year
View attachment 9169
View attachment 9170
I also collect the seeds later in the Summer from other locations and scatter them to make new patches.
View attachment 9171They’ve been fun to eat and grow! Just have to make sure who ever you’re kissing eats them too as they make your breath smell like garbage. ?
Dang , I walked by a bunch of these yesterday on a hike.

We received one of those food dehydrators as a gift years ago and barely use it (takes forever for most things) so after picking 3.5 pounds/1.6 kg of leeks yesterday, I chopped 'em up and filled all five levels:
20210425_170319.jpg

12 hours later, they're almost finished -- and you can see that I did the entire operation outside next to our garage/not inside the house. Clearly, leeks are what this contraption was designed for. Much appreciation to our neighbour from the north SBR for the suggestion!
20210425_171113.jpg

Nice work, James, I assume you then crushed and stored them. Blue Toes dumps the dried product into a mixing bowl and crushes them by hand. We do ours inside for efficiency, you get used to the leeky smell and it dissipates quickly.

After our first dehydrator burnt out, we saved the trays and bought a similar one to replace it. Now she gets one set ready while the other is drying, so we have mass production.

After our first dehydrator burnt out, we saved the trays and bought a similar one to replace it. Now she gets one set ready while the other is drying, so we have mass production.
Between your mass production (to go along with the endless supply in your woods) and Ripitz harvesting seeds, I feel like an advanced beginner.

Between your mass production (to go along with the endless supply in your woods) and Ripitz harvesting seeds, I feel like an advanced beginner.

Ha, it is a fun seasonal hobby and we are always learning. As the season winds down, don't forget that even the flowers are edible, just pick a few to use as a nice garnish on a salad or something (before the seeds emerge). Haven't tried harvesting seeds, maybe I will experiment this year.

We are lucky enough to own 50 acres of woods and I guesstimate that 20 of them are currently covered in leeks. Other than the rare invited guest, we are the only pickers.

I would say advanced intermediate for sure. Dehydrating is getting into experts only terrain

Back