Ramps

1619089038649.jpeg

Almost time for theses beauties. Morels
Nice. I learned most of the food-related traditions from the Italian side of my family and still make many of the recipes brought over from the old country. The one thing I regretfully didn't learn from them was mushrooming.

Here's a good overview on morels:

my neighbor forages for mushrooms. I was a little tentative the first time he gave me some but they were awesome. sautéed them in butter the put them on a burger. chanterelles I believe

What I don't get is how much people will pay for Truffles. I do like the taste but the real deal is like shaving jewelry on your food.

lol and I was thinking about how much I liked my old Ramp Woodpeckers and that they were my favorite skis ever before I got my Head Kore 93's.
used to build and ride some sweet skateboard ramps back in the day

The dried version does not have quite as strong a flavour but is still yummy. Really good on eggs.

Here's a recent series:

Raw material:

View attachment 9135

Snipped and ready to dehydrate:

View attachment 9136
After drying, before crushing:

View attachment 9137
I’ve seen them pickled for preservation but never thought of dehydrating them. That must be a fairly stinky process. I’m sure the result is worth it. We’ve made pesto from them before which is so good. Same with garlic mustard. I have two transplanted patches that have been fun to observe. One is by the creek and one is up in the sugarbush and they seem to be different varieties. One is darker, more compact and clustered. The other is lighter in color, larger and spread out. I suppose this could be because of their different habitats. They were dug from separate locations a great distance apart and it makes sense that there could be different eco types
99F3B140-EA67-4F8E-A8F9-C15C07EF28A4.jpeg
The small leaves are from the seeds of the previous year
D6F9EE33-0135-47FE-AC4B-CFF4E426F2B5.jpeg

D620BC77-9A28-4746-B126-6373F4D4A92E.jpeg

I also collect the seeds later in the Summer from other locations and scatter them to make new patches.
D94B56C0-1E6A-4BAF-A119-61E0828088D3.jpeg
They’ve been fun to eat and grow! Just have to make sure who ever you’re kissing eats them too as they make your breath smell like garbage. ?

Back