Purchasing Land

The whole thing seems like destiny to me. My dream is that our land would never be developed and that long after I am gone there will be some 200 year old trees on that land. I hope my daughter holds on to the property, and passes it down, but if not, somehow I'd like those trees and owls to live on. My personal religion is non-traditional. God is in the big old trees.
Harv and his soulful-skier schtick.

Even though I'll never go in this direction, Ripitz and Scrundy's best practices are enlightening.

Reactions: MC2
James do you believe in anything?

There are some trees on our land that are pretty big and old, but most of the old ones are only ~40 years old(?).

My dream is that our land would never be developed and that long after I am gone there will be some 200 year old trees on that land. I hope my daughter holds on to the property, and passes it down, but if not, somehow I'd like those trees and owls to live on.

My personal religion is non-traditional. God is in the big old trees.
First job was with Cayuga Tree Service as a grunt. Didn’t take long to figure out the job title.
I ❤️ trees too.
When scientists completed the human genome project one of the surprises was the fact humans have fewer genes than plants.

1) you’ll never get rich trying to live off the land.

But I can say this, wish I lived off the land and could make it in the environment we live in.... But I’m into the man for to much and have a job. Start young and take care of your back.
I have been told this countless times about my current industry and profession. Guess I'm not cut out for this whole getting rich thing I hear so much about.

"Living off the land" is also something that I consider somewhat unrealistic, I've learned enough from various permaculture bums and back to the landers to know that self reliance on the land doesn't come easy if at all, gotta rely on community. This is really more about a hobby property that in a perfect world could generate enough to pay the taxes.

Making a living and pro-hobby are very different. You only need to make $10,000 a year to get the Ag. exemption but that will only help with your property taxes not school taxes. You could easily meet that threshold with sugar and shrooms but you won’t be profitable unless it’s on a massive scale. Especially if you count your time. Raw food products are a good way to keep the man away, but value added products are where it’s at.
Need to read more into Ag exemption, that was part of why I brought up stewardship forestry programs, interested in any practical ways to lessen the tax hit owning a property would come with. Hearing about an orange man who puts goats on his golf courses to get taxed as a "farm" opened my eyes to how little it takes.

Need to read more into Ag exemption, that was part of why I brought up stewardship forestry programs, interested in any practical ways to lessen the tax hit owning a property would come with. Hearing about an orange man who puts goats on his golf courses to get taxed as a "farm" opened my eyes to how little it takes.
In NJ, you can get property tax exemptions on 5 acres with $1000 in ag sales/year.

Back