Protect The Adirondacks

Wait, they’re fixing trails? How dare they!

Wait, they’re fixing trails? How dare they!
In the article they talk about unearthing rocks / boulders to line the trail. Great idea, right? For a snowmobile trail they'll jump up and down till the cows come home about leaving them right where they are.
Two faced fkrs

I’ve seen some of the work the trail crews have done up there and it’s a welcomed sight. To not do it would allow continued degradation of the forest. I applaud the work of the builders and the volunteers that are making it happen. There is much more to do to protect these sensitive areas. I’m sorry about your snowmobile trails Camp, or lack of. Maybe someday the issue will be revisited and they will change their evil ways.

I’ve seen some of the work the trail crews have done up there and it’s a welcomed sight. To not do it would allow continued degradation of the forest. I applaud the work of the builders and the volunteers that are making it happen. There is much more to do to protect these sensitive areas. I’m sorry about your snowmobile trails Camp, or lack of. Maybe someday the issue will be revisited and they will change their evil ways.
Hey, don't get me wrong. This trail work is much needed and welcomed.
What I take issue with is the obstruction of this group just because they don't like snowmobiles. It's really that simple. What's good for hiking trails isn't good for snowmobile trails?
It goes back to this group doesn't give a F about people who live in the ADK, they just want those people to take care of their "camps".

I guess I don’t know enough about their agenda or at least the perception of it. I do know that hiking and snowmobile trails are different. The design, construction, maintenance and use is not the same.

I guess I don’t know enough about their agenda or at least the perception of it. I do know that hiking and snowmobile trails are different. The design, construction, maintenance and use is not the same.
I would bet hiking trails are way more destructive than snowmobile trails. The snow is protective of the ground underneath. That is why all the oil fields in the arctic bring their heavy equipment and building supplies up during the winter.

I would bet hiking trails are way more destructive than snowmobile trails. The snow is protective of the ground underneath. That is why all the oil fields in the arctic bring their heavy equipment and building supplies up during the winter.
A lot of hikers want quick point A to B sort of experiences. Basically they don't want to walk up long, meandering alignments to get to their destination. A lot of hikers are more into the physical workout than a pleasant walking experience, we've had a difficult time with this with our planning process here in flagstaff during this last revision process and trail planning. The fall line routes these folks suggest aren't in any way sustainable and erode like crazy, robbing the surrounding vegetation of water and nutrients, often destroy tree's roots system and sometimes killing them. It also creates ugly scars on the landscape. These same folks will beat the sustainability drum and blame mountain bikes for the problems but it's really poor alignments, the kind that a lot of them prefer. A flattish snowmobile trail has barely any impact on the landscape.

The issue here is the removal of trees. I’m in favor of connecting the towns. If it requires an amendment so be it. It’s been done 19 times.
The issue is the definition of timber. Protect, Peter Fkn Bauer, takes issue with DEC and local clubs clearing out brush. The "timber" to be taken out for this trail would be 3" and less. In other words, brush. There's also the issue that Protect had approved of this project years ago then pissed backwards when the time came to start.
Again, this new trail would be better for the forest by moving it from the interior to the edge. It would bring much needed money to communities.
Why not do this.....if Protect and Peter Fkn Bauer are so concerned about "timber" let's plan to trees on the old trail. Win win.

A lot of hikers want quick point A to B sort of experiences. Basically they don't want to walk up long, meandering alignments to get to their destination. A lot of hikers are more into the physical workout than a pleasant walking experience, we've had a difficult time with this with our planning process here in flagstaff during this last revision process and trail planning. The fall line routes these folks suggest aren't in any way sustainable and erode like crazy, robbing the surrounding vegetation of water and nutrients, often destroy tree's roots system and sometimes killing them. It also creates ugly scars on the landscape. These same folks will beat the sustainability drum and blame mountain bikes for the problems but it's really poor alignments, the kind that a lot of them prefer. A flattish snowmobile trail has barely any impact on the landscape.
Good take. Once you get off the ski slope, the new trail up Mt van Hoevenberg seems designed for tourists. Lyon Mountain near Dannemora has a similar reroute that's more challenging.

Back