Pizza

Frozen dough is convenient and all but once you start making dough it's hard to go back. It's very simple and if you have the foresight to make your dough a few days out the quality will be better than you can get from most pizzerias. I use 2 parts 00 flour to 1 part all purpose for a texture somewhere between Neapolitan and NY style. Following any cold fermented recipe that also uses a bulk ferment to start should yield good results even in a conventional oven.
Making dough is easy especially with the right equipment. Most stores do a fine job. It just to time consuming. The sauce in the green and white can is good to. It's all how you cook it.

Frozen dough is convenient and all but once you start making dough it's hard to go back. It's very simple and if you have the foresight to make your dough a few days out the quality will be better than you can get from most pizzerias. I use 2 parts 00 flour to 1 part all purpose for a texture somewhere between Neapolitan and NY style. Following any cold fermented recipe that also uses a bulk ferment to start should yield good results even in a conventional oven.
unfortunately a lot of pizza places are now using frozen dough..

unfortunately a lot of pizza places are now using frozen dough..
It's really unfortunate, I appreciate convenience but if your making your livelihood slinging pizza you would think the least you could do was make fresh dough. I've definitely noticed the lack of moisture and brittle crust at most of my local pizza places, it's really what lead me to making my own. I'm glad opinions on what makes good pizza are as strong as opinions on good skiing on this forum :LOL:.

It's really unfortunate, I appreciate convenience but if your making your livelihood slinging pizza you would think the least you could do was make fresh dough. I've definitely noticed the lack of moisture and brittle crust at most of my local pizza places, it's really what lead me to making my own. I'm glad opinions on what makes good pizza are as strong as opinions on good skiing on this forum :LOL:.
i'm in the food biz
I was in Restaurant Depot the other day and I was watching pizza shops load their carts with frozen dough, and get this, frozen meatballs:mad:

We don’t have the Egg or any fancy oven at the moment. We use the propane grill with no stone. Our local bakery makes great dough. We roll it out into cool shapes and freeze them overnight. Put it right on the grill frozen for a little bit and then flip it over and put the sauce and toppings on. Freezing them keeps them from drooping down through the grate. No stone let’s you get a little crispy char going on the bottom. Sure there are better ways, but this way has been quick and easy for us with what we got.

Test run number two on the Ooni tonight after a disastrous attempt at gluten free that ended in a messy pizza stone and a shattered ego. Pretty happy with this one aesthetically, taste wasn't too bad either.
20210319_190750.jpg

This.
Making your own dough is so much better. It’s kinda like buying your own skis, a signal that you’re ready to take the craft seriously. And, like skis, there are endless variables to combine and experiment with. Everyone has their own preferences for dough making. Anyway I was impressed by how your crust looked.

Test run number two on the Ooni tonight after a disastrous attempt at gluten free that ended in a messy pizza stone and a shattered ego. Pretty happy with this one aesthetically, taste wasn't too bad either. View attachment 8730
Gluten free and pizza shouldn’t be used in the same sentence

good thread boys
I’m sure that oven will make nice bagels too

Back