Pizza

I dated an Italian girl who's family owned a bakery. The best thing I got from them is how to make a pizza. Everyone who has is is pretty impressed. Oven at 420. Spread doe in cookie sheet. Put 1/2 jar of sauce on,garlic, I also put sliced egg plant in at this point but but necessary. Put in oven for 20 minutes. Remove add the rest of sauce and whatever you want. Put back in oven for 25 minutes.
It's incredible.

Classic homemade Margherita pizza: flour, water, yeast, mozzarella, tomatoes, olive oil, basil, and a pinch of salt. A minute to cook (at 900+ degrees), a lifetime to master.
Perfection

I switched to a baking steel
But u can’t beat super high temp ovens

I like making pizza but it's a project. Make the biga; let it rise; make the dough; make the sauce.

I dated an Italian girl who's family owned a bakery. The best thing I got from them is how to make a pizza. Everyone who has is is pretty impressed. Oven at 420. Spread doe in cookie sheet. Put 1/2 jar of sauce on,garlic, I also put sliced egg plant in at this point but but necessary. Put in oven for 20 minutes. Remove add the rest of sauce and whatever you want. Put back in oven for 25 minutes.
It's incredible.

You ever make pizza on the Egg? It comes out really good! I have a pizza stone and get that Egg ripping hot. Hmmmmm, tomorrow is the first day of spring so maybe I'll make Egg pizza.

Not yet. I got the stone but just haven't got the motivation to do it. I use the gasser mostly it's so much easier. I really only use the egg to smoke low and slow

To make dough I use Bobby Flay's recipe, but Ethan Chlebowski's slap technique. Waaayyy better now that we have a proper thermometer and bench scraper.

Go-to pies have homemade sauces.
- Regular sauce, 'roni, mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, fresh mozz, and/or any of onions, olives, peppers, bacon.
- BBQ sauce, cooked chicken (cut), white onion, sundried (optional), mozz
- Pesto, cooked chicken, white onion, sundried, mozz

Note, we make the sauces in batches and freeze the rest. Works well.

Ethan Chlebowski Pizza Dough

A few pies from last week, Wegmans frozen dough is pretty good, will have to make some . Favorite is escarole and pancetta

Attachments

• B35EE6B1-C00A-4C15-B5BB-BFFCFB4655E6.jpeg
    B35EE6B1-C00A-4C15-B5BB-BFFCFB4655E6.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 06CECFC8-0AF0-4030-BFDD-A164462E5C54.jpeg
    06CECFC8-0AF0-4030-BFDD-A164462E5C54.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 59
  • E2234FD3-C02A-48BE-AD40-62BD3D0F99DF.jpeg
    E2234FD3-C02A-48BE-AD40-62BD3D0F99DF.jpeg
    382.5 KB · Views: 61
A few pies from last week, Wegmans frozen dough is pretty good, will have to make some . Favorite is escarole and pancetta
Frozen dough is convenient and all but once you start making dough it's hard to go back. It's very simple and if you have the foresight to make your dough a few days out the quality will be better than you can get from most pizzerias. I use 2 parts 00 flour to 1 part all purpose for a texture somewhere between Neapolitan and NY style. Following any cold fermented recipe that also uses a bulk ferment to start should yield good results even in a conventional oven.

Back