ORDA Funding

Wild guess, because ORDA isn't providing details: were these machines from WF or Gore?Prospect Mt in VT has, I believe, a PB 100. They've had the same machine for 8 years. They're out there grooming every day

The oldest one is only 11 years old? One only 5 years old? Who is maintaining these things? Evidently no one. How much do these things cost?
They need to hire a fleet manager to insure that these things are properly operated and maintained. The payback would be huge.
Can anyone name another ski area that beats up their groomers like ORDA?
Somebody has gotta take care of all the stuff ORDA has spent mucho dineros on.
Good skilled workers are kinda hard to come by.
Add shortage of affordable housing in “remote” areas (Adirondacks & Catskills) and it is what it is.

Wild guess, because ORDA isn't providing details: were these machines from WF or Gore?Prospect Mt in VT has, I believe, a PB 100. They've had the same machine for 8 years. They're out there grooming every day
Pushing the snow for Wild Air & the Mount Gondolas for the WUG may have taken a toll too.

I think a Pisten Bully 600 with winch is about $350k. But it comes with drink holders and that "new cat" smell.
Ten years ago while skiing at Ischgl in western Austria, I witnessed this choreographed grooming exercise with 14 Pisten Bullies. On the trail map, there was a "did you know?" blurb that says Ischgl has 36 of them and they allegedly cost $500K each. That year, they published an informative report covering everything you'd want to know about grooming there, the equipment, etc. Unfortunately, it's only in German and Google Translate won't work on a PDF.

030_-28800x600-29-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Not for nothing, but I'll believe it when the IOC announces it.
They did in the IOC meetin in India recently.
"Milano Cortina 2026 President Giovanni Malagò explained that the Organising Committee has to identify an existing and working sliding track to replace the plans in Cortina d’Ampezzo.
He said: “The government has informed us that it is considering the best and most sustainable option: to not go ahead with the sliding centre and move the sliding competitions to an already existing and working venue. As a result, Milano Cortina 2026 has to identify another venue outside Italy.”
The approach was welcomed by Kristin Kloster, Chair of the IOC Coordination Commission for the Olympic Winter Games Milano Cortina 2026.
“This responsible decision reinforces the position of the IOC that the construction of this venue needed to be reconsidered, as the post-Games legacy plans were not clear,” said Kloster."

Dang Itallians.

They did in the IOC meetin in India recently.
"Milano Cortina 2026 President Giovanni Malagò explained that the Organising Committee has to identify an existing and working sliding track to replace the plans in Cortina d’Ampezzo.
He said: “The government has informed us that it is considering the best and most sustainable option: to not go ahead with the sliding centre and move the sliding competitions to an already existing and working venue. As a result, Milano Cortina 2026 has to identify another venue outside Italy.”
The approach was welcomed by Kristin Kloster, Chair of the IOC Coordination Commission for the Olympic Winter Games Milano Cortina 2026.
“This responsible decision reinforces the position of the IOC that the construction of this venue needed to be reconsidered, as the post-Games legacy plans were not clear,” said Kloster."

Dang Itallians.
I meant, I'll believe that Lake Placid gets another Olympics when the IOC announces it.

As for moving the sliding events to Austria, at least they're being held. The organizers of the 1960 Winter Olympics in CA bagged holding sliding events altogether.

Back