Masks for Skiing in 2020/2021

I just re-read my post and realized it could be taken the wrong way. When I wrote that "cotton is probably not going to work well", that comment was made regarding skiing, not preventing coronavirus spread.

Cotton based fabrics get wet and will freeze solid outside during the winter. 2-3 ply cotton works great for regular face coverings for reducing coronavirus transmission and is what I use on the daily.

I started this thread because I still don't have a solution for a mask. Really want something ski specific.

Under Armour UA Sportsmask, good to find one such as this that doesn’t move in and out as you breathe, they also make a neck gaiter version of the Sportsmask

That looks pretty good:

ETA: ordered two, one for me one for daughter.

Last edited:
That looks pretty good:

I rode a few different bike park this summer and nobody said boo about not having a mask on while you were riding just pull up your neck gator when you’re on a lift line that’s all you need to do

I rode a few different bike park this summer and nobody said boo about not having a mask on while you were riding just pull up your neck gator when you’re on a lift line that’s all you need to do

My goals are lofty. Beyond merely avoiding penalty, I aspire to comply. ?

I comply too
but skiing with a mask on to avoid transmission is just foolish..while waiting on a lift line it does make total sense.

It's fair to say that the guidance for ski resorts is far more comprehensive that what was issued for resorts with mountain biking during the early summer when everyone was still scrambling to understand the most likely sources of transmission. Especially in NY and New England. Colorado and New Mexico there are state guidelines specifically for ski resorts. Haven't look at Utah or Wyoming yet. All American ski resorts are following the NSAA Ski Week Be Well guidance that was developed during the summer.

I've seen a few ski resorts that say a buff isn't enough. But a thin buff over a face mask is one way to hold the mask in place when getting around people. There are also buffs available that have a spot for a filter.

Definitely pays to read the rules for Winter Ops for a given ski area/resort before going for the first time. There are slight differences.

My goal is to stay safe. I'll comply with rules that make sense. I'll probably avoid places that have rules that don't make sense.

For Massanutten, the runs take 2-3 min to finish. Probably won't bother to pull down whatever face covering I've got on. Will be different at big mountains.

I comply too
but skiing with a mask on to avoid transmission is just foolish..while waiting on a lift line it does make total sense.

I hadn't thought about skiing with it on. Where is that required?

If it's required and the mask is comfortable, I'll do it. If it's not comfortable, I'll weigh the discomfort against the benefits of lift served skiing and decide whether to go full nordic or not.

Back