Masks for Skiing in 2020/2021

This sh*t is weird.

I can't see myself wearing a mask like that. I am thinking I will bring a gaiter of somesort while in liftline. I will not be going inside anywhere (unless you consider my car or the woods!).

In the U.S. the only requirement for wearing a face covering is more or less than same as state or local mandates. They are required indoors and anywhere outdoors where keeping at least 6 feet away from other other is difficult. The interpretation that the ski industry is making is that means lift lines and loading a lift, riding a lift (could be with someone you don't know but spaced), unloading a lift, or anywhere around the base or near a mid-mountain building.

There are countries who are requiring mask usage anywhere outside someone's home. That's silly if someone is exercising alone or with members of their family or "bubble." But apparently considered necessary on the grounds that "give an inch and they'll take a mile."

I know of private schools, K-8, that require face mask usage all the time whether indoors or outdoors. A friend has an 8th grader at a private day school. He said even the pre-K kids are just fine with a mask while at school. He noticed that when his son had a few classmates over to play recently, they all naturally wore masks even though they were playing together outdoors.

The reason you want everyone at a ski area around you to be covering their nose and mouth is any stranger or even a friend you don't know that well could be infected and shedding virus without knowing it. Less likely in upstate NY, but still quite possible. Especially if the person likes to stop by a bar every so often.

The point of a face covering is to keep as much virus that comes out of an infected person's mouth or nose as they breath, talk, cough, or sneeze from spreading more than a foot or three. Unless someone has a properly fitted N95 medical-grade mask, other types of masks are better than nothing but not good enough to rely on as a way to avoid getting infected.

A silk balaclava (much tighter weave then the other options) seems like the most obvious answer but trying to tell from a website description if it’s single layer or two layers isn’t easy. Since I got wrapped up in NYSB, I’m constantly going in and out of my pocket for my phone to take pics. I guess I can do that with the same mask I’ve been wearing to work.

Help me decide

Attachments

• 92B1848C-D29F-4962-925B-FEB5BF704BC7.jpeg
    92B1848C-D29F-4962-925B-FEB5BF704BC7.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 63
now there's a term i haven't heard since gramma brown was around!

Back