Masks for Skiing in 2020/2021

This brings back memories

LOL --- I still use it every chance I get, that and dungarees.
she had a slew of them - polywogs (tadpoles), toadstools (mushrooms), i can't repeat what filbert nuts were referred to...

Has anyone looked into the best masks for wearing as you are skiing downhill? I was hoping to only have to wear a mask while in the lift line and on the lift, then take it off while skiing. GP says masks all the time. There must be some good ones out there.

WP

Has anyone looked into the best masks for wearing as you are skiing downhill? I was hoping to only have to wear a mask while in the lift line and on the lift, then take it off while skiing. GP says masks all the time. There must be some good ones out there.

WP
Could that make any less sense? So, you dont need a mask when eating indoors, but you need one when skiing outside?

I've been wearing neck gaiters for years. There are plenty of options, including lighter weight/thinner options. Not sure how well polyester works for preventing microbes from spreading but anything cotton is probably not going to work well. This is the one aspect of this season that will be a non-issue for me! Except for spring skiing, at that point I would just wear my regular two ply cotton regular face masks that I wear at work.

WP
My friend tried out a Bioskin at Big SNOW a couple times and liked it well enough. She kept it on the entire 2-hour session. Of course, no wind to deal with indoors. Temp is kept at 28 degrees.

Interesting that GP wants people to wear a mask all the time except eating. Here's the general guidelines on the I Ski NY website. Of course a ski resort can require more than the basics. NSAA Ski Well Be Well calls for a mask when loading and unloading or any time can't stay at least 6 feet from strangers.

Important Things to Know About Skiing in New York this Season
  • Face coverings will be required at all NYS ski areas except when skiing or eating and drinking.
  • Some ski areas will require pre-purchase of tickets, especially on weekends so be sure to plan ahead as you may not be able to walk up to the ticket window to purchase.
  • Ski school will be limited to 10 people per class and a maximum of six for kids taking a lesson, reservations may be required.
  • Interior spaces at ski areas limited to 50% and must comply with NYS Guidelines for restaurants and retail and more. This means that interior space and food seclections will be limited.

I've been wearing neck gaiters for years. There are plenty of options, including lighter weight/thinner options. Not sure how well polyester works for preventing microbes from spreading but anything cotton is probably not going to work well. This is the one aspect of this season that will be a non-issue for me! Except for spring skiing, at that point I would just wear my regular two ply cotton regular face masks that I wear at work.
If you feel like getting into the scientific thinking that goes into choosing fabrics or a combination of fabrics that are best for keeping in, or out, particles that can carry SARS-CoV-2 virus, here's an article from MIT written in early August.

Back