ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Subaru and it's cult like following will also do well
Subaru can market to their customers like no other brand out there. Quite amazing, really.
Still a bit of chicken or the egg though. My daughter would love to have a Subaru Crosstrek like her cousin in Boston. I went with her for a test drive in Asheville. That is one of the largest dealerships in the southeast. But they don't sell the hybrid Subarus. I think they did but didn't have demand. As long as they don't have the option available, they really won't know if demand has changed.

Still a bit of chicken or the egg though. My daughter would love to have a Subaru Crosstrek like her cousin in Boston. I went with her for a test drive in Asheville. That is one of the largest dealerships in the southeast. But they don't sell the hybrid Subarus. I think they did but didn't have demand. As long as they don't have the option available, they really won't know if demand has changed.
Daughter just bought a crosstek sport
Subie hybrid is a joke. Almost no mpg advantage.

Being so close to Ithaca we sell quite a few Crosstrek Hybrids
Once this thing hits I believe it will be in high demand among the Subie faithful

Why is the cost of charging so much less at home? Just adding a middleman? $3500 to install a charger does seem like a lot.

As more EVs are adopted it could push the cost of gas down and the cost of electricity up. It could also make electricity more volatile? Or if regulated, less available.

As more EVs are adopted it could push the cost of gas down and the cost of electricity up. It could also make electricity more volatile? Or if regulated, less available.
When "we" start losing tax $$$ due to less gas being used (if it happens, still not convinced) we'll see the cost of charging go up.

Why is the cost of charging so much less at home? Just adding a middleman? $3500 to install a charger does seem like a lot.

Let's step back a sec, please.

Charging is more expensive at a L3 charger because it is very high speed (fill up a tesla in like 20 minutes but I don't really know teslas) and someone paid for the infrastructure to put them out there. Many makers offer lifetime or set period of time use. Harv in your current use case you would be using L3s more than almost anyone during ski season, and even those rates are cheaper than gas.

Charging is less at home (L1 or L2 depending on volts and amps) because you pay the utility rate. And because EV's are much more efficient that Gas (think about all the heat and noise coming from gas - that is energy changed from chemical state to kinetic state), they are 'pound for pound' cheaper, particularly adding in things like regen brakes which take wasted friction (kinetic) energy from when you stop. Hybrids do that last one, too.

I have actually done some (too much research). In a HCOL area, it costs 750 for EVSE (charger) that will fill up basically any EV overnight. NJ and NY utilities will basically give you a rebate down to 250 and reduce the electric cost off off peak rates by 25% if you use that charger (they get info and a promise from you to give them your charging draw so they can plan for future). Then in HCOL it costs 750 to install. So that is 1,000 for very convenient charging.

As someone noted (Tirol?), if you don't want to spend any money other than a bit for a chord (and mos EVs include a 10 foot chord), you could plug into most drier outlets and get around 70% of the high speed charging effect so long as it is 240 volts.

To figure out how long it takes to charge an EV, know your voltage to an outlet (220 for big draw items), then know the amperage output of the specific outlet combined with breaker (eg 48 amp will allow you to draw 40 for safety reasons but leave that to the electrical engineers or electricians here); Then you can convert that into kilowatts with internet calculators. That will tell you KW per hour; then you divide that into the KW of the battery and you get hours to fille.

Then, as noted, if you work with your utility, they will give you a good discount in exchange for your using a system that lets them see how much you pull overtime.

What is the diff between standard 240 and an electric charger? I had a 240v put in my old house for an electric kiln it was no where near 3500. Maybe $300 parts and labor. It was close to the panel so the line was short.

Camp is right, the tax strategy will get revised if adoption goes higher.

What is the diff between standard 240 and an electric charger? I had a 240v put in my old house for an electric kiln it was no where near 3500. Maybe $300 parts and labor. It was close to the panel so the line was short.

Camp is right, the tax strategy will get revised if adoption goes higher.
The $3500 number can be real if you have an older house with 100 amp service and you already have some big amp users on the panel (oven, A/C, water heater) pushing you to the limits of the panel. You would need to convert 100 amp to 200 amp service to support the addition of the 240 car charger plus the amps and that is were the $3500 comes from.

Back