ICE v Electric: Cost and Emissions

Doug DeMouro offroad review.

His constructive feedback: bad cameras, no hill assist, no tire pressure readout. No locking differential. I think most of these are fixable with software to the extent people actually think it is an issue. Lots of positives, including doing stuff he didn't think any stock vehicle would.
I was a little confused by his criticism of the cameras based on what I saw from the 3-day event at Breck.

I started watching DeMouro's full review. Hard to listen to all at once. He goes through the features more slowly so I did see a few things that I hadn't seen before. Like the location of the button to open the frunk without the key. Also a more thorough explanation of how the key alternatives work.

Very cool
BUT!!! Starting at 25K??? No F'n way.
As soon as these things get to be like TV's I'll be interested. I own a $300.00 flat screen 42" TV that does everything I need it to do. I'll never pay more than that for a TV, ever.
I paid 10K for my Ranger that does everything I need it to do.
I'm not against electric motors or solar power, rather I'm waiting until it's better and competitively priced.

I was a little confused by his criticism of the cameras based on what I saw from the 3-day event at Breck.

I started watching DeMouro's full review. Hard to listen to all at once. He goes through the features more slowly so I did see a few things that I hadn't seen before. Like the location of the button to open the frunk without the key. Also a more thorough explanation of how the key alternatives work.
I (guess) think his point was that other cameras have such higher resolution; I know one criticism is that the Rivian camera's don't stitch together a 360 degree birds eye view like other carmakers. I don't think it is a big deal but then again my two cars have zero cameras.

This is how I understand the criticism.

I (guess) think his point was that other cameras have such higher resolution; I know one criticism is that the Rivian camera's don't stitch together a 360 degree birds eye view like other carmakers. I don't think it is a big deal but then again my two cars have zero cameras.

This is how I understand the criticism.
Makes sense.

I remember looking at the footage of camera shots from the 3-day event and thinking it was pretty impressive. Don't need super high resolution to see a big rock coming up.

There is a shot of the three front cameras around Min 6.

. It looked pretty slick but I don’t like the headlight design.
yea I just cant' seem to get past the cartoon character look of the front end...

yea I just cant' seem to get past the cartoon character look of the front end...
I guess they’re going for a Buck Rogers space age kind of thing but if it was my decision, I’d try to make it look like a normal pickup truck

I guess they’re going for a Buck Rogers space age kind of thing but if it was my decision, I’d try to make it look like a normal pickup truck
That's exactly what Ford did with the F-150 Lightning. It has a grill, which is only for show. Different approaches for different markets.

The comments by Sandy Munro about the three EV trucks were interesting to hear.

Don't think it was this session, but in one of the sessions with E for Electric, Sandy was asked which company he thought was #2 after Tesla in the EV space. He didn't pick Rivian. He picked Ford based on what people in other countries are buying. Apparently the Ford Mustang Mach-E is pretty popular, even though it's still not that available yet.

That's exactly what Ford did with the F-150 Lightning. It has a grill, which is only for show. Different approaches for different markets.

The comments by Sandy Munro about the three EV trucks were interesting to hear.

Don't think it was this session, but in one of the sessions with E for Electric, Sandy was asked which company he thought was #2 after Tesla in the EV space. He didn't pick Rivian. He picked Ford based on what people in other countries are buying. Apparently the Ford Mustang Mach-E is pretty popular, even though it's still not that available yet.
And Rivian is way too expensive to be #2 after Tesla. Tesla could be #1 with only expensive models for a while because their were virtually no other EVs and none of them performed well (the other mass EVs were Leaf and chevy bolt(?)).

I think Ford or VW are going to do well in the EV market. The ID4 is actually on the road, and a CRV type competitor on cost that gets the benefit of the tax credit.

There are going to be a lot of mass market choices for EVs in the next 5 years - really exciting. The knock on Tesla is that they are still just too expensive (and they have raised prices a bunch this year).

And Rivian is way too expensive to be #2 after Tesla. Tesla could be #1 with only expensive models for a while because their were virtually no other EVs and none of them performed well (the other mass EVs were Leaf and chevy bolt(?)).

I think Ford or VW are going to do well in the EV market. The ID4 is actually on the road, and a CRV type competitor on cost that gets the benefit of the tax credit.

There are going to be a lot of mass market choices for EVs in the next 5 years - really exciting. The knock on Tesla is that they are still just too expensive (and they have raised prices a bunch this year).
Apparently Sandy Munro was thinking VW would do well . . . until he got a hold of their first EV car. He was disappointed. He was answering the question this fall soon after his first comprehensive look at the F150 Lightning. He liked a lot of things about the Lightning. He started asking questions about sales and interest in other countries after that in a different way. Since he knows first hand how Ford makes decisions, that's a factor too.

Sandy noted that there is a big gap at the moment between Tesla and #2 and the others are much farther behind.

Back